Rear 4 link length

damarble

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
21 Bronco & 88 Bronco II
So question.

I searched a bit but didn't find anything, I'm wondering if anybody has done a rear parallel 4 link using the stock leaf spring bracket for the LCA?

I'm looking at about a 28" long arm, which is shorter than most long arm kits for Jeeps, but much longer than their stock arms or Toyota's or what have you.

I would expect better flex than the leaf springs and very little frame side work needed. Am I crazy?

Still too many known unknowns to determine "flex". For example: joints - assuming we use some joint on one end with a 30 degree operating angle, and assuming the lower link is the limiting factor, and forgetting the fact that the other end has a rubber bushing which allows some flex - then the vertical displacement (for the lower link's lower bolt mount) from stuff to full droop is determined by 2*[lower link length]*sin(15°). But you also have to keep in mind suspension geometry influences off road characteristics and performance - so first look at how the upper link is going to play out. Oh and you forgot one more thing, a panhard bar.

then the vertical displacement (for the lower link's lower bolt mount) from stuff to full droop is determined by 2*[lower link length]*sin(15°).

Thanks, just what I needed for a baseline. So using that formula, if I have a 28" link, I'll have 36" of total travel? That sounds excessive, I'm assuming the other variables will come into play to further limit that.

Oh and you forgot one more thing, a panhard bar.

I figured that was obvious and didn't need a mention. ;)

I was thinking of putting the upper bracket right about here:

CIMG0059-1.jpg

Which would make the upper arm in the 20-21" range which should be about perfect. The lower links would then be under the frame and the uppers would be outboard. I'll have the room for it as the axle going in is a FW.

Anybody know what's up with those holes I circled? They are on both sides. Almost like Ford thought about linking these then passed after the frames were drawn up.

Some of those holes are for brackets for the factory traction bars. They were just short rods with a rubber bushing on each end, one end at that bracket and the other on top of the axle housing. No idea which Explorer's came with them, but i had a 2wd V8 2nd gen that had them.

Back