• Register Today It's free!

Intake Question.

5 LITER ROB

Reaction score
City, State
Bordentown NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer
Hey everybody. I am new to the forum and have a quick question. I have a 97 mountaineer with a 5.0 and I want to upgrade the air intake. The only problem is my mass airflow sensor isnt like a normal looking maff. It is part of the intake box on my truck. is there a way to change to a normal style maff cause the connector is different also. I am gonna eventually be doing a remote mount turbo and will have to change the maff any way. Just wondering if it is possible. THanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok cool I will take it apart after work. I wasnt sure and didnt want to brake it.

No its not like that. Thats what I am looking to change it to. It is like a canister type intake box and the maff is built into it. It takes a cone style filter and splits in half. Im gonna upload some pictures in just aminute.

It's a seperate piece. It comes apart.

Ryan

Here are some pictures of the intake and maff connector.
CIMG0074.jpg

CIMG0073.jpg

CIMG0071.jpg

Thanks. Im pretty familiar with the 5.0 liters from previous mustangs but havent ever seen a maff like this.

If its anything like mine, after you take the lock ring off and seperate the canister into two pieces like you said earlier. after removing the filter you should see where the air filter rests and a hole for the air, there should be a circular metal screen there to protect the maf. well on the end that has the metal screen there should be a couple tabs to fit a screwdriver in to get that complete cover off, once off the you should be able to access the maf housing and get it out

okay, it is like mine, just saw your pics that you loaded. yeah the side that has that knn filter caution sticker has the metal screen and locking cover to protect the maf.

Cool thanks. I saw spots to pry it apart with a screw driver and my mind said to do it but I have dumb luck so I wanted to ask first before I broke it lol. I picked the truck up pretty cheap and was planning on using it as a dd but. I really want to put a turbo on it. So I guss sinse my excursion is done now its time to start another project. Thanks for the help.

It does break kind of easily with to much force. I think i broke mine when i took it out. nice a turbo project, lots of info around here about force fed explorers

Back