• Register Today It's free!

Starting to mod.

DrHerbertWest

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha,Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 mercury mountaineer
I currently plan to make some modifications to my 99 mercury mountaineer, was looking for some input. I hope this is the right forum :x

I am planning on taking this vehicle storm chasing.

Torque Monster Headers
Dual Exhaust
MAC Intake
MSD Ignition
MSD Coil Pack
Xcalibrator2
Rear Swaybar
Front and rear Edelbrock shocks
200amp Alternator
Xantrex 1800 watt true sine power inverter
Optima YellowTop Deep Cycle
Fortera tires

Questions
Will the 90MM Lightning Mass Airflow Sensor work on the Mac Intake, if so where can I locate one?

Anything else I am missing or that would make a great addition to my vehicle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site!!
Anither Mounty--ha ha

In my opinion, youd be happier with a good single exhaust system. There are issues when running the driver side tailpipe.

Other than that--looks like a good list, and #1 is where it belongs on it.

Check your PM's

Welcome to the site, this is definetly the place to be to learn about modding your mounty. I agree that headers are definetly the place to start, I have the MAC intake, and a custom exhaust with a Flowmaster 50 series muffler, and don't really a whole lot of difference from stock other than a lot more noise:D The stock exhaust manifold is still a huge bottleneck for me.

you might see if you can run dual batteries...it looks like you are wanting to run alot of equipment?

you might see if you can run dual batteries...it looks like you are wanting to run alot of equipment?

A fair amount of equipment, I want to put a few household outlets into the car.
With the current battery I should not need another one, at least I hope not.

Welcome to the site, this is definetly the place to be to learn about modding your mounty. I agree that headers are definetly the place to start, I have the MAC intake, and a custom exhaust with a Flowmaster 50 series muffler, and don't really a whole lot of difference from stock other than a lot more noise:D The stock exhaust manifold is still a huge bottleneck for me.

More noise is what I want ;) I plan to change the exhaust manifold, along with adding a cold air intake.

my thinking was along the line of keeping your batteries isolated and having more deep cell power, just for an example: if you have a camper on a truck and are towing a travel trailer, one battery is constant for your truck and the other is power for the rest of the appliances, etc.....

my thinking was along the line of keeping your batteries isolated and having more deep cell power, just for an example: if you have a camper on a truck and are towing a travel trailer, one battery is constant for your truck and the other is power for the rest of the appliances, etc.....

It looks like it would be a pain to put dual batteries in, that's the only reason I am trying to avoid it.

naw, if you have a location where you can mount the battery, thats the hardest part...i beleive you can get the wiring and isolater at most parts stores with the instructions...

I currently plan to make some modifications to my 99 mercury mountaineer, was looking for some input. I hope this is the right forum :x

I am planning on taking this vehicle storm chasing.

Torque Monster Headers
Dual Exhaust
MAC Intake
MSD Ignition
MSD Coil Pack
Xcalibrator2
Rear Swaybar
Front and rear Edelbrock shocks
200amp Alternator
Xantrex 1800 watt true sine power inverter
Optima YellowTop Deep Cycle
Fortera tires

Questions
Will the 90MM Lightning Mass Airflow Sensor work on the Mac Intake, if so where can I locate one?

Anything else I am missing or that would make a great addition to my vehicle?

If you go with the Lightning MAF you will need definate custom tuning. The flange on the maf you have is smaller so to answer your question no it will not work. The factory meter measures about 67MM, I would recommend you upping in size to 73MM, the 90MM isn't needed unless you are going to run severe boost. I sell the C&L 73MM and this will definately support you power hunger. I also can supply your MAC intake. I would recommend a good single 3" catback over the dual. Everyone I have sold one to on these forum (and locally) have never regretted it. You will make the same if not more hp and torque with the 3" single. Shoot me a email I do power packages (intake,meter,exhaust,tuning)-James hensonperformance@bham.rr.com

the only thing I didnt see on your list was a good tune

www.bamachips.com is a site sponcer and does a FANTASTIC job.

The 73mm C & L MAF is the ticket; you won't regret it.

that's what he was talking about, you can have custom tunes written for your specific vehicle. So that way the tune will take advantage of your headers, or bigger MAF, or whatever else you do to it.

That's what I thought, so this is the last thing I should have done?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back