91 X by black91EB | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 X by black91EB

I have been a member for a few months on here, and just went elite yesterday, this site has saved me 20 bucks at least so I felt it was well worth it. I have a 1991 Eddie Bauer 4x4 that I have done some minor mods to thus far, and I also completed my first "major" modification yesterday in going to a 1354 Manual case. Found it at a U-Pull-It yard for under $100 including the shifter and boot. In addition I had to change the rear diff cover, something about the stock fiberglass cover not standing up well to a log I had to back over. :(
Anyway, I figured I would start a thread showing what I have done, and add as I make progress, and maybe help some people out in how I did something, and get ideas along the way.
DSCN0676.jpg

Here's what I have now.

DSCN0694.jpg

Manual case really looks good in my truck:D

DSCN0689.jpg

Don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but the shifter that was on the TC when I got it would not clear the transmission shifter. I don't know if they used a different shifter for the manual, since the TC came out of a 91 ex with an automatic. BTW, do NOT try to bend the shifter for clearance, it will break, thus the gorrilla welds. (you know, big strong and ugly)

DSCN0692.jpg

DSCN0691.jpg

There is the broken diff cover, I have a steel one off an f-series on there now. (good thing about being a parts packrat)
Anyway, thats all I have for now, the next thing will probably be some auxilary lighting front and back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, not many companies that keep in contact like that. That is where I ordered my balljoints from also.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I really really like dealing with rockauto. I placed my order at 1am tuesday morning, and my parts showed up yesterday (wednesday) morning at 9:55 am. I actually got the order before I got the shipping notification.

so I lifted the explorer last night:
Photo061.jpg

Lol anyway I have all new balljoints and RA bushings. It was huge PITA as I had to completely pull the front axle assembly and replace it with the one off my black truck. As I previously noted, I was planning on taking the passenger side beam off since the RA was messed up, but I ended up breaking the pinch bolt off for the upper ball joint in the drivers side, so off it came too. The RA crossmember was worse than I thought too. All in all 4 hours work, which I thought was pretty good.

Everyone says the RA crossmember is a PITA to deal with because of the rivets, but the 4 now that I have taken off have been all bolted on. They were a my 91, a 93 Sport in the JY I got the one for my '91 off of, my '92 parts truck, and my current 92. Did they only use the rivets some years?

You must have gotten lucky and had trucks that already had the rivets replaced with bolts due to RA bushing replacement in the past.

You must have gotten lucky and had trucks that already had the rivets replaced with bolts due to RA bushing replacement in the past.

I guess. Kinda strange how that works out sometimes. Oh well, now on to bigger and better projects.

Been tossing around the idea of ditching the 60 side of the 60/40 rear seat and getting another 40 section, bolting it in on the passenger side (a little fab work would be required, but this does not scare me) and building my console so that it extends all the way back to front of the cargo deck. This would gain cupholders and arm rests for the back seat, and allow room for my sub and amp, as well as all kinda storage space. My only hangup is that I would have to figure out some way to swap the lever to fold the seat to the other side, as it would be on the inside in that application. I would build the console to the same height as the folded seats, so when the seats were folded, you would still have the large cargo area.

Sounds like a cool project to tackle if you don't want to put regular buckets in the back. How did the quality of those RA bushings seem?

really good. I've never heard anything but good stuff about energy suspension bushings.

so my explorer is no more. Totaled it yesterday morning when a driver ran a red light in a 98ish Plymouth Voyager and I broadsided them on my way to school. I impacted at about 35, smashed the hell out of the front of my explorer. I'm ok, just stiff and sore, there were some injuries in the other vehicle but I didn't find out the severity as they rushed them to the hospital.
Photo070.jpg

Will most likely keep the truck once the insurance deal is straightened out, will either make a buggy or part it out, not sure which yet.

yeah, it did well at keeping me safe, have some whiplash and seatbelt bruising and a slight scuff on the back of my head but other than that, I'm ok.

wow....sorry to hear bout this...least you kept safe....

Dang man... Sorry to hear, but I'm glad your safe. These first gens are tough little trucks.

thanks guys. Im really glad I wasn't in a small car, that could have been alot worse. I'm looking for a 94.5-97 f-250 or f-350 now, once the insurance gets straightened out I'll be able to get one.

update, so no one in the other vehicle suffered any life threatening injuries. Explorer is still in insurance limbo, have not reached a settlement yet due to them lowballing me.

I have replaced it though....
Photo093-1.jpg

'92 f-250 supercab 4x4, ZF-42, IDI diesel. 4.10 open front and rear. Have the nicer alloy rims with centers, just waiting on cash for tires.

Me likey! Especially the diesel part. :D

Good to hear everyone is ok. Keep fighting the insurance company, you'll make 'em see reason. :)

I like the replacement truck :)

Thanks for the compliments guys. I really like the new truck. Shes slow, due to the non turbo engine, but gets really good milage. I drove it from Memphis to Oxford, AL on Monday, and got 21mpg at 75 on the highway. Even with the higher cost of diesel, its cheaper for me to drive this than my 14 mpg explorer.

Been looking at the banks turbo kits online, may do that down the road, they claim 80hp and 150lb/ft increase, as well as up to 25% more fuel economy. If I can drive a 3/4 ton extended cab 4x4 that gets 25mpg, I will be a very happy person. I got a really good deal on the truck, so I can spend a little on something like that.

Yeah you'll definitely be more happy with it having turbo.

yeah, I would just find a factory setup, but they are so rare in the yards since ford only made the IDI turbo motor from 93 to 94.5. A post 94.5 powerstroke setup won't work because of the difference in compression they are a poor match. An IDI engine has 22:1 compression, whereas a powerstroke has a 18:1 ratio. Mine is completely mechanical though, so most everything is easily fixed and much cheaper than the newer engines. Rebuilt injectors go for about 13 bucks a piece.

The leaf sprung TTB kills me though. Thats one of those things you look at and go, "really? WTF was FoMoCo thinking?" A D60 swap may be in the works down the road because its a bolt in swap

Back