• Register Today It's free!

skyjacker coils

speedster101

Reaction score
City, State
Libertyville, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
hey guys im about to put used 4/6" superlift ttb brackets from a bronco 2 on the front of my 91 ex.. the kit came with 4" coils and im matching soa for the back so i was wondering if the ill be able to align the camber if i buy some skyjacker 6" coils and pop em in on the 6" wholes in the brackets.

i guess what im asking is if the farther wholes on the the brackets are for a six inch.

thanks in advanced guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, from what I know (which isn't much) superlift brackets only have one set of holes. The only brackets out there that I am aware of that have 4/6" hole settings are the ones from skyjacker. If that's the case, then game on for the swap. Just remember that the skyjacker 6" coils won't be a full 6 inches once they settle in. more like 5.5". And from what I've read if you have aftermarket parts up front, ie winch, bumper, etc. it might be less.

It would probably be easier to identify what you've got and what you want to do if you could snap some photo's and post them online for examination. Then we could be positive of brand, drop bracket height, and so on.

hey guys im about to put used 4/6" superlift ttb brackets from a bronco 2 on the front of my 91 ex.. the kit came with 4" coils and im matching soa for the back so i was wondering if the ill be able to align the camber if i buy some skyjacker 6" coils and pop em in on the 6" wholes in the brackets.

i guess what im asking is if the farther wholes on the the brackets are for a six inch.

thanks in advanced guys!

I've got the Superlift up front on my '92. don't know if the BII kit is diferent than the EX. The lower holes on the EX/ranger kit are for 5.5" of lift. With the SL 5.5 springs I have alot of positive camber but the springs are new and I don't have a body on the rig yet... Not sure if they make a camber adjustment nut/bushing greater than 2-1/2 degrees but thats whats in mine now and unless things change, it's not enough...

Attachments

• IMG_1082 web small.jpg
    IMG_1082 web small.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 343

oh crap.. hmm what should i do? i think i have the same camber bushings too.. i have the rough country 2" coils and its at max camber.. what do you suggest i do? what springs will fit?

Punt!

I don't have the perfect answer yet. My rig is under construction and I am learning as I go too. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in...

I know that my SuperLift coils are extremely stiff and I am planning on finding some softer ones after I have my body on. I have noticed a little difference with the camber in the past month with the weight of the rig just sitting on them.

I have seen a lot of talk on here about finding springs that are not softer rated than ~330 pounds/inch. I would have done a lot more research but I thought that the SuperLift package would be the complete answer. (Like I said, still learning myself! Hard Knocks comes to mind here...)

What I am worried about is if the coils sag too much after broke in, the height of the SOA won't match up as well as it does right now. The fact that I am putting the body of a pick up on mine won't look too bad if I have some rake after all is done... Seems like you would have way too much rake if you don't go with ~6" coils.

A good deal of time searching the existing threads may pay off for you. Problem is there are so many variations on what people are running, trial by fire may be the only option! (I would strongly recommend that you consider the F250 shock tower Mod. if you are going up 5"+)

My local spring shop talks very confidently about being able to get me into the springs I want after the rig is completed but these are also the guys that soaked my 80 year old father for almost $900 when they put overloads on his F150... The prices they have given me without labor are very competitive so I guess going in and not giving them a blank check is the key! I will most likely use them for replacing my springs when the time comes so that I can swap them out at no charge if they don't work like what I asked for...

Good luck,

What's the problem? If you have superlift drop brackets in the front and you use the lower hole and put in 6"springs and do a soa in the rear with shackles it will sit perfect.so I do see where the problem is?

I've got the Superlift up front on my '92. don't know if the BII kit is diferent than the EX. The lower holes on the EX/ranger kit are for 5.5" of lift. With the SL 5.5 springs I have alot of positive camber but the springs are new and I don't have a body on the rig yet... Not sure if they make a camber adjustment nut/bushing greater than 2-1/2 degrees but thats whats in mine now and unless things change, it's not enough...
What size tires are those? My 5.5 with 33s sits perfect.that thing looks way higher than mine!!!

What size tires are those? My 5.5 with 33s sits perfect.that thing looks way higher than mine!!!

35 X 12.5 on 15" rims. Remember, I don't have any weight on the font end other than the motor...

Yea that and they will settle.I have a set of 35 too and they aren't that bad but my spring are worn and I'm addind f150 seats when I actually put them on to stay,so I hope they can be adjusted many people run the same thing and have no problems.

Also have you driven or moved it? I kno mine looks like that right after I jack it up till I drive it

Also have you driven or moved it? I kno mine looks like that right after I jack it up till I drive it

A way to get rid of that (if your trying to set the toe etc) is to take 2 pieces of metal and put them on top of each other with a layer of bearing grease between them.

Do that for both tires. Now when you put the vehicle back down you can turn the wheels left/right and bounce the suspension a little and viola, the suspension will be unloaded. I found I don't even have to turn the wheels or bounce it.. its own weight seems to settle it just fine if I use the bearing grease/steel plates.

~Mark

"Driven it?" Have you looked at the photo? sorry to be Mr. Obvious but, it's not exactly ready for a test drive :crazy:... I have only moved it enough to pull it out of the garage and turn it around.

Don't want to sidetrack Speedster's thread. You can see/ask more @ Going Up.

ha yea you said it still had a motor soo....also why I said drove or moved it:)

Speed,

Before you put the BII superlift brackets on your X, it might be a good idea to inspect them thoroughly (like remove what paint is on them) and look for stress cracks or fractures. I've run into quite a few posts around that say that the superlift drop brackets tend to crack and break when used hard offroad. If you see signs of weakness, then you can bust out the welder and beef em up before the install, preventing scary/dangerious problems in the future, and minimizing vehicle downtime.

Oh, and I don't know if there is a chart somewhere around here that says the different spring rates for different brand coils, and final ride height after settle in, but I know that the Skyjacker ones are 400lbs/in. If you wanted some with more dynamic flex, I know James Duff uses progressive rate lift coils that are made specifically for Explorers. Maybe give them a shout? Their guys are really friendly and knowledgeable.

Speed,

Before you put the BII superlift brackets on your X, it might be a good idea to inspect them thoroughly (like remove what paint is on them) and look for stress cracks or fractures. ...bust out the welder and beef em up before the install, preventing scary/dangerious problems in the future, and minimizing vehicle downtime.

X2

Not hard to add a little strength even if it wont see hard off road use. It's worth the peace of mind!

Attachments

• DS pivot Bracket web.jpg
    DS pivot Bracket web.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 308

LoL! I just found your thread as was considering posting a link to it for this exact purpose.

Well done Sir. :salute:

oh wow thanks guys and yea my question was pretty much will any six in. coils work with the superlift brackets.. i think ill first hit up the guys at james duff and see how pricey theirs are other whys id like long soft coils that settle to 6" so i dont have a bad toe out..

Well, I went with the Skyjacker pt 136, as they are supposed to be softer than most of the others, but I've read that they tend to settle to about 5.5" inches of lift, less if you have a winch and a heavy bumper to support it.

I just got them in along with the James Duff upper coil buckets, so I should have them on within a week or so, along with my damned heavy custom grill/brush guard w/ integrated winch mounting plate. At that point I should be able to tell you how they fit with 6" drop brackets, and if there are any terrifying alignment issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, food for thought, just about every product that I've read about superlift has gotten reviews along the lines of 'good idea, but inferior strength and overall bad execution.' Whereas every single skyjacker review that I've run across (for ford products) has been amazing. It was those facts more than anything that made me decide to go with skyjacker springs, as I felt that I had a much greater chance of success with a company that doesn't screw the pooch anywhere near as much as superlift.

Just my two cents, which probably isn't worth much. :( Whichever you decide, keep the updates coming. :chug:

Back