Difference between 2wd and 4wd Coils? - Skyjacker Lift Coils... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Difference between 2wd and 4wd Coils? - Skyjacker Lift Coils...

splat

Reaction score
City, State
cedar park, tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Sport
I apologize in advance if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find any answers using the search (maybe I wasn't using the right keywords).

Anyways, I'm looking at lifting the front of my '92 2wd Explorer about 4" with coil springs and was looking at the Skyjacker coils. A buddy of mine recently purchased some from 4Wheel Parts for his '88 Ranger 4wd. When they asked him if it was 4wd or 2wd he asked what the difference was - they told him nothing. I was planning on ordering from Summit, but noticed on their site they only list the 132X coils for the 2wd, and the 134 / 136 coils for 4wd. I checked on the Skyjacker site and it appears they are all for 2wd/4wd. Will the amount of lift be the same for a 2wd as a 4wd?

I've also read on this site the Skyjacker coils tend to sag. If I'm looking for a 4" lift should I be looking into the 6" Skyjacker coils? We're going be cutting and extending some forged beams so no need for drop-down brackets. We'll also be fabbing custom radius arms and running the stock coil buckets (at least for now).

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you ever have questions, go to the manufacturer first...4wheelparts is a good place to buy, but they are a middleman...here is a link to better help you...
http://skyjacker.com/

as for the sag, i have heard all the coils sag after a couple years of use...it's common...the skyjacker coils seem to be a better coil in my opinion as it doesn't make your truck ride like a tank...good luck and i hope it helps...:D

Thanks for the help. I'll give Skyjacker a call tomorrow. If they don't sag for a couple years I'll probably go with the 4".

you might look at your truck and measure the coil height...when talking to them ask them their coil heights and what they might recomend...:D

You cant just lift your truck 4" with coils, for anything over 2" you also need drop brackets for your radius arms and beam pivots.

I hope you understand this???

as always, good point 410....;)

You cant just lift your truck 4" with coils, for anything over 2" you also need drop brackets for your radius arms and beam pivots.

I hope you understand this???

No drop-downs, we're going to cut and extend a set of forged beams and instead of bending them we're going to offset the cut when we get ready to plate them.

okay custom beams then :)

for 2wd beam suspensions and hard driving (like desert/jumping) Eibach 5" coils are very popular, they have a 550# spring rate, very stiff

Skyjacker coils will be soft and flexy

softer the coil the more they will sag, obviously

What you are doing is re-locating the ball joint/king pin to correct camber at ride height, a cut and turn

okay custom beams then :)

What you are doing is re-locating the ball joint/king pin to correct camber at ride height, a cut and turn

Yeah, a cut, turn, and probably about a 4.5" extension ;). We were also looking at machining some beam ends, may scratch the forged beams, not sure yet. This one will be more of a daily driver and only hit a few mild trails. I'll be going =Length with coilovers on the '93 Ranger, but won't be for a while. Gotta wrap up the other projects first.

in some cases, 2wd coils are longer then 4wd coils. i've heard you can try to lift your 4x4 by puting 2x4 coils in it, although it might not align right. (this i heard from talking to john at autofab)

Back