• Register Today It's free!

corner light

linchero

Reaction score
City, State
spruce pine n.c.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 s/t
i need your help again. i need to get the passenger side corner light out. i got as far as the phillips head screw then i looked down and i saw something that i never applied my little mechanic skills,im trying to clean the fog out of my headlight . there was water in there so i drilled a small hole on the bottom but is still have fog no more water just fog.so this corner light is in my way. anybody took one off ? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remove that one screw and it just pulls straight out. It's held in place by two "pegs" if you will.

FoglightwiringR10.jpg

FoglightwiringR9.jpg

i tried pullig and it wont come out, i see there is some type of lever with a allen wrench head attached to the bottom of the light,the lever moves left to right or right to left, i have no idea what this lever does its on both sides of the car.i tried pulling yanking etc, no dice, do you know anything about this lever ? is there another way to get rid of the fog in the headlamp ?i tried putting a heater against the light i didnt have enough time to keep it there ,you think that could work ? thanks

I added the photos of the corner lamp attachment. The headlight is removed by lifting up on the two black flat metal pieces behind the light. The hex head pieces are for adjusting the aim and it is not necessary to mess with them.

FoglightwiringR8.jpg

Here is a TSB Ford put out to correct the condensation problem in the Explorer Sport/Sport Trac headlights.
http://www.mysporttrac.com/~library/7804/HelpFiles/tsb04-13-03.pdf

man thats a lot of info. i really appreciate your help in this matter. i know about lifting the tabs from the headlight, thats as far as i got before i ran into the problem with corner light. the headlight and the corner light were butting against each other i dint want to chip either of them. well at least i know i have a challange to do next wekend.ill get the adhesive before i start.i hope i can handle this problem , seems like it was a common issue with the s/t. lets see what happens , thanks for all the info, you guys are great, LINCHERO G-D BLESS OUR COUNTRY.

Tires

The tires on my 01 s/t are 255/70/16 whats the next size down i can go with? of course without hurting the drive .thanks

Size down, meaning smaller? My '02 4x4 came with 235/70R16's & my '01 4x2 had the 255/70's. I'm running the 255/70's on my 4x4 now. But those are the two factory options on tire size.

tires

the 235/70/16 are less wider than the 255/70/16 ? what about the height ? just asking beacause i think there less expensive to buy when my tires wear out. thanks

tires

thanks for the info.

I've tried to figure out why they put the sizes on the different vehicles that they did but ???? My '01 4x2 had a 4.10 rear with the 255 (slightly taller/wider) tires. My '02 4x4 had 3.73 gears with the 235 (slightly shorter/narrower) tires. It's almost like Ford was trying to even up the final drive ratios. Makes no sense to me!

cigar lighter

first of all i fixed the moisture in the headlight did just what you wrote and it worked out fine thanks, next problem my cigar lighter dont work so now i cant use my phone charger. i didnt notice any screws around the frame of the radio and lighter area, so i guess you just pry it off ? how do replace the lighter i checked the fuse its fine. do i use a flat head scredriver to pry it off ? thanks

Removalnotool-1.jpg

Two screws under the radio and pry out carefully. Radio comes out with it.

20A Fuse 17 I believe............

lighter

i got the element out i checked the fuse its fine. so should i go to ford and buy the element or put another fuse in. ? is there a way to test the element ? thanks

Element??? You're speaking of the piece that gets hot? As far as I know about any lighter will fit in the socket/housing/whatever-you-call-it.

What about the fuse?

Test it? All I know is if you push it in and it gets hot it works! LOL !!

element

im talking about the piece that makes the lighter hot.when you plug your cell phone charger in your red dot light comes on mine it dont. i tried other chargers still no light. there was no lighter when i bought the car. the lighter meaning the part that lights your cigarette.

When you pull the radio bezel off make sure you have a ground attached to it. If you have power you either have a bad ground or the chargers center pin isn't connecting the center pin in the lighter socket. I've run into plug-in things that just don't go in deep enough to reach the 12V+ center pin.

lighter

there is one wire that was attached so i assume its the ground. i took the lighter (part that lights the cigarette)out of my other car and plugged it in still dont get hot. so i assume its the part thats attached to the wire.

Needs two wires. One to the round center stud and another to the outermost housing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wire

ok ,so know i have to look for the other wire.i was thinking there should have been two wires, .to late now ill look in the morning.. hope its there.

Back