Need some help on free wheel hubs for first gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need some help on free wheel hubs for first gen

Rafael Reis

Reaction score
City, State
Caxias do Sul - RS
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Hi everyone!

I´m from Brasil and run a first gen explorer (still TTB).
Me and some other guys are suffering with the weak free wheels avaliable here from AVM. They just explode with agressive 35" tyres an front lockers.

What free wheel hubs are you runnig?

Here are some pictures of my ex called "caveirão" and the exploded free wheel.

CIMG0130.jpg

DSCN2267.jpg

DSCN0379.jpg

IMG_2182.jpg

DSCN0320.jpg

DSCN0276.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the Dana 35 TTB, the Warn hubs seem to be the consensus..

If you can get it, get the P/N 37780 which is actually listed for a Jeep dana 35. Its stronger than the Warn P/N 29071 that the books list.

I run the 29071 but once I break a hub I'll be switching to the 37780, but so far, I've been lucky.

Also, it comes down to driving style and if you have a locker up front. If you have a tire in the air spinning when it comes down it has a good chance of breaking the hub, even more so with a locker up front.

~Mark

What are those awesome tires you're running!?!

I've found that every time I've blown a hub, I've had the wheels turned all the way left or right, and usually also on a downhill, where the weight is on the front.
I wheel with 37" tires, so I go easy on the gas pedal, and anticipate positions and situations where it could happen.

You can swap d44 ttb spindles on it and the hubs will be a lot stronger. But if your going through all that you might as well for SAS it.

What kind of tires are those. They look MEAN. Sweet looking Explorer you have there.

Those tyres are designed by myself and made on a 35" x 13,5 maxxis mudzilla tyre. I don´t know if you have those tyres on US.
They are a (cheap) copy of Baja Claws, one of the worst tyres i have used ever.

DSCN1348.jpg

The actual tyre is a bit heavy, but works very well on everything i´ve put them (unless pavement :D).

Thanks for the support. I will try to find the warn 37780 in a US store than ship it to Brasil.

How about these hubs?
41C03S7HAQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Warn 37780 Flange Mount Hub Lock Set
Other products by Warn
5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review)
List Price: $226.95
Price: $210.05 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
You Save: $16.90 (7%)
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.
Only 3 left in stock--order soon.
3 new from $204.49

Right part # but looks like the wrong pic.. BUT, the review there says its the right one for a ranger Dana 35.

~Mark

Those won't work on the Dana 35... not the ones in the pic anyway. I have the Warn 37780 hubs and they look like every othere hat style hub... just heavier.

If there were hubs like that for the Dana 35, I would be running them.

But if you order the part # 37780, it will work for your truck and should hold up.

From looking at the part number and what the "review" there says, Yes, that is the right one. Going by the stock photo they put there, no it won't.

I know I would try it, BUT, your not in the US so I don't know what would happen if it doesn't work. In the US I would just return it and since I get free shipping I would at the most pay for shipping back.

~Mark

I've seen that wrong pic even on Warn's own site (apparently someone was sleeping on the job at some point :rolleyes: )

pt# 37780 should get you just the two locking hubs that slip on just like the stock ones. You'll notice they are a full pound heavier than most other hubs.

Old thread but I just discovered "caveirão" means armored police car lol

Yes my friends overhere call my explorer CAVEIRAO inspired on this:
caveirao.jpg

This kind of vehicle became world famous in Rio de Janeiro fight against drug dealers in poor communities called favelas.

Those vehicles are use by a special operation police force called BOPE.

A closeup of the tyres during the fabrication, they are handmade.

P1010001.jpg

Another one
P280410_12.23_%5B02%5D.jpg

Wow this takes Back yard Engineering to a whole new level :eek:

but i do like em tho :D

I´m just not receiving the notifications about this post...

The hubs you have recommended are these?
!CB0HypQEWk~$(KGrHqJ,!iQE0Gj6E(bPBNJHJrz0ZQ~~0_12.jpg

I don´t bought them yet, what a shame...:D

They are hand made, but not in the back yard. There are a lot of companies that do this kind a job here. Good tyres are very expensive, so the technology of rebuild the surface of the tyres are very popular specialy in heavy trucks.

Join this idea with some hardcore trail riders and you have a new perspective in offroad tyres. ;)

Wow this takes Back yard Engineering to a whole new level :eek:

but i do like em tho :D

those tires are sweet looking. i bet they grip like a son of a gun

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back