Advice on front wheel bearing (hub) brands | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advice on front wheel bearing (hub) brands

rFoto

Reaction score
City, State
Wake Forest, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 4WD
Hi Guys – new to the forum, but long time ST owner. I’ve concluded that the front wheel bearing on the pass side is bad, and I see it is an assembly – no way to change out just the bearing.

Who has experience with the replacements from the Chain auto parts stores?

Advance has two versions:

1) “Driveworks” wheel hub assembly for $ 106
2) “National” front hub $216

They look identical, but twice the price????
Any experience with these brand hubs?

As usual the reviews on the site are all over the place – the cheap one is either good as factory – or ready to explode in two miles….(although more positive than neg reviews….)

I have 139K on this truck and reading the forums, it looks like I’m lucky to have made it this far on the bearings.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well the higher cost one probably has a 3-5 year warranty.. If your on a budget you can go with the cheaper one or even get one thru a vendor here.. Contact 1ATony

I've found that the cheap ones from the local parts stores are crap, they never last me more then a year but I have larger tires with different offset wheels, so I'm hard on them. Timken seems to be highly recommened on this forum and the last time I changed one, I used a Timken that I bought on Amazon for for about $120 shipped. I've been told that Timken makes the Ford OEM hubs also. I've only had the Timken in for a few months so I don't know yet how long it will last. Also the Timken says made in the USA on the box so thats a plus.

Advance has two versions:

1) “Driveworks” wheel hub assembly for $ 106
2) “National” front hub $216

Driveworks - China
National - USA

Welcome to the forum BTW.

I've had the Timkens on for about three and half years and don't have any issues, my Trac is also lifted and I beat the hell out of it (towing, offroading, etc...).

thanks

Thanks guys - I'm not going to go cheap - you talked me into the good stuff.

Check out rockauto.com and use the site discount in the vendors section, you're not gonna beat their prices. Even for the good parts.

Back