My Stealth Subwoofer Box-Work In Progress | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Stealth Subwoofer Box-Work In Progress

JCStevens85

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Eddie Bauer
Still working on this, but here is what is done so far:

IMG_0337.jpg

^JL Audio 13TW5 Shallow mount 13.5" Subwoofer
IMG_0340.jpg

^Designed to fit snuggly in the space left after the removal of the 3rd row seating.
IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

More to come...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cecbb892.jpg

e0f73f67.jpg

871fe753.jpg

7fca7b58.jpg

1771b417.jpg

Now all that's left is wiring up the vehicle, throwin' the new box in, and waiting for the mat to arrive to cover it up

I LOVE JL's!!! A friend had a 2nd gen with a custom box, 2 13.5" W7's, 2 Rockford Fosgate 1000W amps and HOLY LOUDNESS!!!

Great job on the fab work! Looking forward to updates.

Great work. Great design, Its so nice to not have to lose any space, yet still have a nice stereo system. Also after you hide it under a mat, no need to worry about thieves.

I LOVE JL's!!! A friend had a 2nd gen with a custom box, 2 13.5" W7's, 2 Rockford Fosgate 1000W amps and HOLY LOUDNESS!!!

Great job on the fab work! Looking forward to updates.

Thanks! I love these types of projects, I am hopefully going to get it all wired up tonight. I will definitely get some updated photos once its installed.

cargo.jpg

cargo1.jpg

Its in and its hooked up. sounding pretty good, but I am going to port it... the bass is too tight for my liking. Then I wait for the cargo mat to cover up all my hard work! haha, sad...

Wow looks nice , i like it !! , Good Job And Good Luck With The Port

Wow looks nice , i like it !! , Good Job And Good Luck With The Port
Thanks man, some serious blood a sweat went into this thing... literally haha. Feels good to actually have it all hooked up finally!

Thanks man, some serious blood a sweat went into this thing... literally haha. Feels good to actually have it all hooked up finally!

I Feel the same way when i build a setup , i love building enclosures and doing custom stuff , makes you feel good to say , yeah i built that !

So after a bit more modifying, my system is sounding great. At first I didnt think that sealing the top chamber with the Plexiglas would alter how the speaker sounded too terribly much... I couldnt been more wrong, it pretty much sounded terrible. I took the glass off and did a little sound testing, and the system bumped HARD... so after a little research a I decided to port the top chamber; I cut out two slots which you will see below, put it all back together and it sounds great. I am finally happy with it and very glad I do not have to redesign the whole setup. I still have to do a little bit more work with the storage space in the back end, but other than that I am dialed in!
IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

All put together with custom fit Loydd cargo mat.

Great job and looks stealthy!!! No worries about anyone stealing it:D

Thanks! Plus, still can utilize all that cargo space, which is a big deal for an outside salesman such as myself ;)

NICE looking work! I'm jealous of people with wordworking skills....My grandpa was really into woodworking (not sub boxes, but same idea lol).

Awesome finished product :)

From the looks of it, it seems that you had the third row seats option. How hard was it to take them out?

From the looks of it, it seems that you had the third row seats option. How hard was it to take them out?

Removing the third row is simple. Where the jack is, there are some bolts and if you take the seat bottom off(two white clips and the bottom front, push the right to the right and left to the left) and after you pull it off, you'll see the other bolts. I know this isn't very detailed, but that's pretty much how you do it.

good job and thanks for sharing this to us.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hows it sound?

Back