Wired? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wired?

Reaction score
City, State
Coppell, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 VW Touareg
Hey guys, i have an 03 EB without the rear parking sensors. I want to find a bumper off a matching X with the parking sensors. The question i have is if i do get the bumper, is my truck pre-wired for it, and i can just hook them up; or would i have to go through a bunch of wiring(meaning not doing it because im too lazy :D)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a good question. I'm going to guess it's not prewired because I have a switch inside to turn them off(when backing up a trailer) Do you have a blank(fake) cover to the right of the lightswitch?

no fake cover, but the peice that would have the switch is like 9"x5" not that big, so maybe ford just made 2? i hope thats the case haha. i'll try to google around and see if i can dig up a wiring diagram or something.

Allright! after 20 mins of googling, i actually found a thread that was posted up here! it was under subwoofer or something so i think thats why my search didnt come up with it. Anyways here a link with some instructions from jrford, for anyone who is thinking about doing this swap/mod.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2425636

sorry, never did a write up,

Local junkyard, about $65 for the steering Bezel with switch no blank for it, backup module (mounted RR Qtr next to PDU), and a rear tail light harness. Since the yards have a tendency to get happy with the wire cutters rather than pull them apart the one i got didn't have the sensor side and it didn't have a bumper it was already sold with the cut connector. I did check once with the stealership for the harness, it was over $100. I only needed a bumper at this point but all the yards where cleaned out at the time, so i put the project on the back burner. Fast forward a year and the Ex was rear ended in a chain reaction, minor damage to the hatch and took out the bumper Insurance paid for a used bumper and i was able to score everything else and fix the bumper on top of it. For $200 it came with cover, foam insert, sensors and luckily the cut connector which i was able to splice together with the rest of the harness i got. Finally got it all plugged in and to my amazement it worked.

In the pic (module is not there but), bottom right corner is a black box, this the rear PDU, next to it is are the plug for the Fuel pump, RR tail light, Trailer wiring and the Parking sensors,

Parking sensors are a stand alone unit.

Attachments

• PC130175sm.jpg
    PC130175sm.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 270

pic of the PDU. Middle connector is for the Parking sensors, runs up to the dash. Parking sensor module would plug in here.

Attachments

• PC130172sm.jpg
    PC130172sm.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 274

Thank you very much good sir!

BUMP!

Does anyone else have any input about doing this? I'd love to have Backup sensors on my 03 EB. Pictures would be great!

Back