• Register Today It's free!

Converting to heated mirrors?

Lxracer90

Reaction score
City, State
Manassas, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT Sport Package V8
I have a 2004 4dr XLT Sport Package. I was wondering if I buy factory or used factory heated mirrors for a EB or Limited would they work properly on my XLT? I have power mirrors w/puddle lights and was wondering if it is pre-wired to switch to heated mirrors? Has anyone made this change to their X? Thank you in advance for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2004 4dr XLT Sport Package. I was wondering if I buy factory or used factory heated mirrors for a EB or Limited would they work properly on my XLT? I have power mirrors w/puddle lights and was wondering if it is pre-wired to switch to heated mirrors? Has anyone made this change to their X? Thank you in advance for your help.

I doubt it. the heated feature is pretty uncommon, I would be surprised if the leads are already run to the doors..

Ford doesn't install wiring often for features not bought with a vehicle.

The connectors are usually all in place to be able to add any option though. I am almost finished with a 99 Limited and its harnesses have had almost everything. I wanted to add rear air shocks(ARC), and had to buy harnesses etc. from another vehicle.
I have swapped many parts between model years, basically every connector can have the wires removed without harm. You can add or modify without cutting into any wires generally, given additional wiring with proper ends.

Go through wiring diagrams for your model, learn how what you want works. Find the needed wires from other vehicles, and add them. Good luck,

Thank you FordLover & CDW6212R for your advise. Someone had told me a longtime ago they thought that the Gen3 were prewired. Reason being that all Gen3 EB, Limited and some XLT's Come with heated mirrors as standard Equip. at least around here they do.

I notice that you both have Gen 1 & 2 X's maybe thats true for your years? Is there a different place I should post this question?

Again, thank you for your help!

If the "other" forums ever comes back up, there is a guy on there, dwtc (Brad), that did the conversion to his X. I can find out for you then. I was thinking it was prewired. Can you call ford and ask them?

Thank you asimp for your help. That would be great if you could ask him for me. I'm trying to get a straight answer out of the ford techs at the local dealership and it seems I have started a debate among them also. I would just hate to buy new heated mirrors and find out its not prewired.

What is this "other" forum you are talking about?

Thank you again!

asimp any clue what happened to the "other forum"?
I tried to log in one day and it said server swap...ok been almost a week?

Back to the thread:

LX have you tried searching for the parts yet? That is one of the items that I am mad at my self for not getting.

Misconceived, I've found a bunch on ebay and I have a friend that works for a junkyard and she said that she can find them too. Are you thinking of doing the swap too?

If it is not to much of a PITA. I'm not the type that is too scared to hack into my truck, but I also do not want to run a ton of wires.

well if u cant wire factory ones then your could always repalce your stock ones with aftermaket heated mirrors, really expensive tho, most have the turnsignal in it too if u like those, good luck

Heres an update, I went to dinner with my Ford tech from Battlefield Ford and some friends. He has worked on fords for 20+ years. I asked him about this heated mirror situation and he said that Ford runs 2 different wiring harnesses in the Explorer. One harness is for base models like XL, XLS and stripped down XLT. The second harness is for loaded models like EB, Limited and loaded XLT. He said that I should have the loaded harness because my XLT is loaded with back-up sensors, factory DVD entertainment system, moonroof and etc. So I'm going to have him pull my door panel next week and have him check my wiring to his factory diagram book. I will let you know what I find if anyone else is interested in this swap.

Thank you so much for everyone's input it has helped out a lot.

Pulling the panel and looking at the mirror connector is a sure way to tell. If the wires aren't there it still could be done though. That would require understanding the system, and then adding the wire. Good luck,

i am thinking about putting heated mirrors on my 03 xlt -- i read somewhere (maybe in owners manual) that they come on with rear defroster -- if thats true it doesn't seem like it would be hard to hook em up

i am thinking about putting heated mirrors on my 03 xlt -- i read somewhere (maybe in owners manual) that they come on with rear defroster -- if thats true it doesn't seem like it would be hard to hook em up

well dont know about the 3rd gens, but on my 96 the rear defrost button comes out with the radio bezel, and has only 2 wires, grd and hot. if the heated mirrors have just a hot and grnd wire then i think u could splice into the hot wire on the defrost switch and there ya go, come one with the rear defrosted, thats actually a good idea.

I talked with Brad about him changing out his mirrors. He went with the aviator mirrors, so he had to change all the wiring. But he said before he went with aviator mirrors, he bought a kit from Muth. They have a kit to add heat to your mirrors, you can also add turn signals in them. Here's the link, hope this helps:

http://www.kwmuth.com/products/kits/220-0141.htm

Outlawwv yes you are right they do come on when you turn on the rear defroster and Ranger379 that is a good idea also.

Asimp Thanks for the info. I'm go to check out the link and see what they offer. I'm usaully a OEM kind of guy but its worth looking into though.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Asimp is that site up yet??

The main site is, but the forums aren't. Still gonna take some time

Back