• Register Today It's free!

ford expedition ????

lynnboy021

Reaction score
City, State
billerica ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer
trying to get some info here. i have a 02 expl and a 23ft boat and with all the tranny problems i am having i dont wanna use my truck to pull my boat. i am looking to buy a ford expedition 97 to 02 with less then 140k for around 2500. i found alot of really nice trucks with low miles for my price but everytime someone sells there truck they say there is no problems with the truck, just to sell it. so my ?s are is the ford expedition as bad as the expl? what is the comm problem with the ford expeditions? should i go with another truck that have 4 drs can fit 3 big car seats 4x4 and mostly that can pull a 23 footer???

here are some pics of my boat when i got it and one is new

SAM_5424.jpg

SAM_5422.jpg

SAM_5421.jpg

SAM_5420.jpg

SAM_5418.jpg

SAM_5417.jpg

SAM_5416.jpg

SAM_5415.jpg

SAM_5414.jpg

SAM_5413.jpg

SAM_5412.jpg

SAM_5411.jpg

SAM_5425.jpg

SAM_5901.jpg

SAM_6055.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a friend who had a 97 Expedition, I don't think he ever had any real problems with it. I wouldn't get a 97 though since that was the first production year. Go with as late a model as you can afford and try for a 5.4L? Looks like the 99-02 Tritons had the most power at 260hp/345ftlbs.

And ya probably not a good idea to tow something that big with the Explorer anyways, I'm guessing it's close to or over the highest rating of 7200lbs (V8 + tow package).

Wife has an '06 Expedition we use to pull our 18.5 foot Crownline. It has absolutely no trouble; plenty of power, plenty of brakes.

But I'm leary about towing the boat with the Explorer, knowing the transmissions they have. Mine is on it's third, all done by the previous owner who used it to tow something but I don't know what for sure. I don't think I'd ever consider towing a boat the size of yours with an Explorer.

I don't think an Expedition would have too much trouble with yours but it really comes down to how much weight, how far, tow package, condition of tranny, etc.

Have you been to the Expedition forum? They have a whole section devoted to towing.

http://www.expeditionforum.com/index.php

Very helpful. Site seems to be slow right now though.

Good luck. Let us know how you come out.

well i dont know where your from but i live in billerica ma and i go to lynn wich is 30 mins and to cape cod wich is 2hr w/boat away. i like the Expedition cuz all my family has one but they just use it for the 3rd seat not towing so i cant ask them on towing. i did not check out the fourm yet and thanks for the website. but ya i want a tahoe or Expedition for the towing the 3rd seat and space the truck has for 3 kids. oh right now i am pulling my 23footer with my 98 s10 blazer lol ya i know call me crazy but hey its hauls really good with no problems at all.. thanks and i am going to post my thread at that site.

Wife traded her Tahoe in for the Expedition. The brakes on the Tahoe are woefully inadequate for towing, in my opinion. We used it to tow the same boat we have now and it was marginal at best. Plus it was in the shop 2-3 times each year at an average of $800 per visit.

The Expedition has been practically trouble free for the last 5 years she's owned it. Bought it used w/about 26K miles on it.

sounds good thanks for the info. my fam never had problems with there truck also but the only hold i have right now from buying a truck is that i have to sell my blazer first lol.

Back