• Register Today It's free!

Aluminum Heads

prw512

Reaction score
City, State
aurora mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 explorer 00 f150
What Aluminum Heads will work with my TMHs. Going to build a new engine for my 2000 MM 5.0 I mite use my stock intake. It is a DD !!!! Any input would be nice. By the way my ceramic plug wire boots are working great with the GT40P heads with TMHs. NO more burt boots

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For any aluminum head you will need to send your headers back to Bob so he can weld new head flanges on.

Dan,

That is not true.

You can use TrickFlow 170 and 185, FRPP GT40X, AFR 165 and 185's all use the same FACTORY port configuration...I know there are more that I can't think of right now, but you get the point.....The MOST POPULAR heads out there, will work with TMH's.

Your all out race heads need to have different flanges....but honestly.....If you are spending THAT kind of money on heads, and supporting mods....the TMH's are going to be a bit small.

Ryan

ANY ONE ELSE I found u used set 165s from guy that i trust still on his car for $800

WHO IS WRIGHT Dan OR Spdrcer I need to no before he sell the AFR 165s to someone else. I help put them on his stang they only got less then 1000 miles on them. He is going bigger.Thanks PRW512 Phil

....maybe it's the guy that actually has Aluminum Heads on his X with TMH's....

Ryan

WHO IS WRIGHT Dan OR Spdrcer I need to no before he sell the AFR 165s to someone else. I help put them on his stang they only got less then 1000 miles on them. He is going bigger.Thanks PRW512 Phil

I know Jon (Turdle) had Edelbrock heads on his Mountaineer and he had to have new head flanges welded on. I know that mustang owners always want the non "P" heads because Mustang headers will not bolt up to the "P" heads.

nop heads

I know Jon (Turdle) had Edelbrock heads on his Mountaineer and he had to have new head flanges welded on. I know that mustang owners always want the non "P" heads because Mustang headers will not bolt up to the "P" heads.

the p heads the spark plugs hit on the regular stan headers The exhaust gaskets are the same Just trying to find out WHY SOME SAY THEY DONT FIT

I read somewhere here a while back that the exhaust ports are lower on the Explorer heads than stock Mustang and aftermarket heads. The best person to ask if you can get a hold of him is Bob at Torque Monster.

gtp exhuast flanges do not match mustang. You will have protrusion. The gt40p exhuast flange bolts are off centered, IIRC

In other words, gt-40-p ports and aftermarket ports do not match. Call Bob for clarity on this.

....whatever....

Guys have to buy the GT-40P specific headers due to the ANGLE OF THE PLUG. It has NOTHING TO DO with the port configuration.

The Exhaust flange that is used on GT-40 & GT-40P heads (or even E7's for that matter) are the exact same. It is just the routing of the primaries that is sometimes different.

As a matter of fact, the TMH's will work with GT-40 heads, and GT-40P. And that is due to it's already crazy looking routing of the primaries....

Some heads have a taller and/or wider exhaust port. AFR 165's are not those heads.

I stand by my original statement.

AFR 165 heads (Top)
TrickFlow 170 (2nd Pic)
GT40 and GT40P heads (3rd Pic)
Welded Steel vs Cast Iron Manifold (Bottom Pic)

ALL OF THEM ARE THE EXACT SAME CONFIGURATION...same Exhaust Port Floor dimension, same bolt pattern....

Think about it....

Could you imagine how limiting the aftermarket would be if every head manufacturer has their own flange design...unique to ONLY their line of heads? Ford didn't even try to do it, AND THEY ARE THE OEM....they ONLY changed the angle of the plug.

Try this one out....take an old Welded exhaust manifold off an early 5.0L....and compare it with the Cast Iron version of the later 5.0L's. They are the SAME port configuration.

As a matter of fact, the Early Welded Exhaust manifold was used from 96 to at least late 97.....bridging the gap from the conversion for GT-40's to GT-40P's....Same manifold. Different heads.

The exhaust ports are the same.

Attachments

• AFR165.jpg
    AFR165.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,043
  • TrickFlow170.jpg
    TrickFlow170.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 903
  • GT40andGT40P.jpg
    GT40andGT40P.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 1,039
  • ExplorerExhaust.jpg
    ExplorerExhaust.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 897

AFR 205's

Notice how there are 2 bolt holes to choose from now on each side of the primary.

That is so you can run large primaries, and still have room to get a wrench on the bolt.

Attachments

• AFR205.jpg
    AFR205.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,073

How about this....

I already dry fitted my TMH's on my Twisted Wedge (170) heads, but I didn't get a pic...

When I install my TMH's on my Twisted Wedge 170 heads...I'll take a pic, then I'll get a video w/ sound, and you can hear them running on there.

I e-mailed Bob did not here back. Did some serching on the net AFR 165s exhaust ports are .125 higher, spark plugs are at the same angle like old ford not GT40P. Still dont no if they will work. I think i will try This winter when i rebuild my MM 5.0 and do the cam change. I will have Lance Line port the lower intake to match the heads. Will run on engine dyno to see the flywheel HP. Later Phil

afr heads do not have a raised port until you get into the 225's. canfields and z304 heads are also raise port, not quite as high as a TFS high port head.

Get the AFRs, you will be fine, if you went from a GT40 head to a P head youd have to mod the header to make the plugs fit, all but a hand full of the inline ford heads will interchange. your stock intake will be OK up to afr 185's w/ minor clean up, fully ported it will nearly keep up w/ them.

..You don't have to modify the TMH's, they are GT40P and GT40 compatible..

Ryan

can tell you now i have built mustangs for almost 16 yrs the gt 40p head requires its own header due to spark plug angle and the bolt pattern if you go to a different head different headers or different flanges will be in order. HOWEVER!!!!!! i am new to the ex and mountaineer just traded my 98 gt for a low mileage 00 ex limited saturday and i am frusterated because i have been all over the net and there isnt much support for aftermarket on these. the best i have found is here. want mine similow and fast. any advice im open.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ryan, your pictures clearly show how the bolt holes on gt40p header are slightly off center. However the heads shown do not have this off center bolt pattern.

I stand by my statement, gt40p heads have a different bolt pattern.Using gt40 headers on non gt40 heads will result in port protrusion.

^^^as is stated by above post.

Back