• Register Today It's free!

For Sale Sell it? Or.. fix it?

EnjoiYaHeard

Reaction score
City, State
Cape Coral, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
Hello guys, I have a 2000 Ford explorer XLS, yes I've already posted in here about the problem it has on my other account, it wouldn't let me log in on here. But the problem is there is Carbon building up in the first piston and the compression test is reading 50 for the first piston and 150 for all of the others. the guy said its about 800-1000 bucks to fix, which I do have, but I feel like I can sell this as it is, or try and fix it. It hesitates really bad, and idles really rough. Hasn't stalled on me or anything yet. I have put a lot of work into it myself. How much do you think I Could sell it for?
6045602536132_ORIG-1.jpg

6045939084048_ORIG.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

About $50-700, a bit more than scrap value.

What can you buy to replace it for $800-1000 ? 1986 Mercury Lynx ?

About $50-700, a bit more than scrap value.

What can you buy to replace it for $800-1000 ? 1986 Mercury Lynx ?

Haha got jokes! no I mean, I want to try and sell it as it is now for about 1,500, do you think thats too much? and I mean someone wants 800-1000 bucks to fix the problem.

Run a can of seafoam through there. My parents had an intake gasket leak on their old bravada, so there was a ton of carbon build up from burnt antifreeze that caused a valve issue or something. It showed up as very low compression on cyl 1. Dealership said we should sell it before we had further issues. Seafoam got rid of the carbon build up and its been going for 60k since then (although now its running pretty poor again, probably because there is also damage in the cyl from that leak) The seafoam saved my parents from trading the car in.

Any idea why there is carbon build up in that cylinder?

Run a can of seafoam through there. My parents had an intake gasket leak on their old bravada, so there was a ton of carbon build up from burnt antifreeze that caused a valve issue or something. It showed up as very low compression on cyl 1. Dealership said we should sell it before we had further issues. Seafoam got rid of the carbon build up and its been going for 60k since then (although now its running pretty poor again, probably because there is also damage in the cyl from that leak) The seafoam saved my parents from trading the car in.

Any idea why there is carbon build up in that cylinder?

Thats exactly what the mechanic told me to do its a 1/10 chance it will work he said though. I have no idea where the carbon is building up in the cylinder I was just told thats whats happening, and theres a break in the cylinder causing carbon to build up in it. And to seal it off and get carbon out of it is about $800 fix. but thank you so much, ill have to try it. also, if I do consider selling it now, whats a reasonable price?

Probably about $900.

make sure to check your firing order from coil to plugs , i bought a explorer and they swapped the front and rear plug wires around backwards somehow , then maybe seafoam through the brake booster , i heard the seafoam does well with idle and hesitation

make sure to check your firing order from coil to plugs , i bought a explorer and they swapped the front and rear plug wires around backwards somehow , then maybe seafoam through the brake booster , i heard the seafoam does well with idle and hesitation

they all seem to be in order, he checked all of that, and they are all good the mech. said. and alright I'll have to give it a shot :) thanks

just trying to help and learn here my self , i bought a 99 4.0 ohv with 315k miles showing on it , and drove it 60 miles home with it not running properly , so far have been cleaning and replacing as i go , i plan to either fix and resale or keep for the fiance , still undecided atm , looking forward to things that are helpful to yours !

just trying to help and learn here my self , i bought a 99 4.0 ohv with 315k miles showing on it , and drove it 60 miles home with it not running properly , so far have been cleaning and replacing as i go , i plan to either fix and resale or keep for the fiance , still undecided atm , looking forward to things that are helpful to yours !

thanks man! thats A LOT of miles, but hey, mines a 2000 4.0 ohv (148,000). How much did you buy it for? and would I be able to get your opinion on how much I could sell this for as it is now? I need to get a better car, as i'm only a sophomore in highschool, I dont have the money to be replacing everything :( but thanks for your help man :)

I only got it cheap because i knew someone who knew someone type deal , it was sitting and they needed the cash , with only that mileage i would just do the routine maintenance and tune up , shouldnt cost a few hundred bucks , for selling it , i would not ask less than 2000 for yours , it only has 148k . thats really not much if there maintained properly, i own and have owned vehicles with over 200 and 300k miles , all depends how they were drove and maintenance , search the seafoam and try it see what happens then, do your fluids change and tune up really shouldnt cost alot

I only got it cheap because i knew someone who knew someone type deal , it was sitting and they needed the cash , with only that mileage i would just do the routine maintenance and tune up , shouldnt cost a few hundred bucks , for selling it , i would not ask less than 2000 for yours , it only has 148k . thats really not much if there maintained properly, i own and have owned vehicles with over 200 and 300k miles , all depends how they were drove and maintenance , search the seafoam and try it see what happens then, do your fluids change and tune up really shouldnt cost alot

Yeah I understand that. Thats pretty god then :) and yeah i'll try and get all of that done, I just bought some sea foam earlier today, but I just woke up so its a bit late to try it. Even if any of that doesn't fix the problem, you think it's still worth $2k?

i personally would not sell it for less than 1700-1500 as per the mileage and year model , i see 98 sports with more miles for more than 2k all day in Ga

i personally would not sell it for less than 1700-1500 as per the mileage and year model , i see 98 sports with more miles for more than 2k all day in Ga

Yes I see ones like mine up on craigslist going for about 2k. but i'm saying selling it with the problem it has, how much would I get out of it?

well that i cant tell you for sure , i wouldnt ask no less than 1200 if it runs and drives , but thats my .02 !

well that i cant tell you for sure , i wouldnt ask no less than 1200 if it runs and drives , but thats my .02 !

Thanks man Thats what im hoping to get out of it even though I paid 1700 for it with the problem lol :( but who knows maybe if the seafoam works tomorrow I might keep it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I payed half that much for my 99 , but since you did pay that much , i would keep it and try to fix it , thats low miles for a 2000 model , i just sold a chevy full size conversion van for 1100 cash , it was a 96 with 228k miles , they drove it home 45 miles away and it has been sitting for 5 years off and on

Back