Oil leak in pipe joint. Help me identify please! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil leak in pipe joint. Help me identify please!

Relix

Reaction score
City, State
PR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT SOHC
Hello ExplorerForum. I was replacing my radiator (a line blew off) and noticed a strange leak coming from a rubber line, then the joint that connects it to an aluminum line. This line is just right above the rack & pinion.

wpxzxl.jpg

gYrpDl.jpg

wba4tl.jpg

What oil does this transport? Transmission, engine or power steering? If so, any specific name to it so I can get it replaced? Thanks a lot in advance :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello ExplorerForum. I was replacing my radiator (a line blew off) and noticed a strange leak coming from a rubber line, then the joint that connects it to an aluminum line. This line is just right above the rack & pinion.

wpxzxl.jpg

gYrpDl.jpg

wba4tl.jpg

What oil does this transport? Transmission, engine or power steering? If so, any specific name to it so I can get it replaced? Thanks a lot in advance :)
That appears to me to be the pressure line to your steering rack. I have not personally worked on a 2000 model, so I am not 100% sure. There is most likely an o-ring leaking, or maybe just a loose fitting, depending on how it is assembled. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Hope this helps you.

I know the suction line for the AC compressor runs under the front of the engine. You should be able to follow the line to figure out where it goes. By smelling the oil you should be able to tell if it is ATF (power steering) or engine oil. Just because that particular hose is wet, it does not mean it is the one leaking. The leak could be coming from higher up and dripping down on it.

Ah! Thanks a bunch guys. Well I am honest, I don't really notice any more dripping from above. Also, noticed the power steering reservoir was a bit emptier today, so I think its definitely power steering oil. Will see how to get that fixed. Thanks!

Looks like the pressure line, they all leak and usually from the two small holes on the crimped end, i have replaced hundreds on all types of fords and chevys, they will leak again, i think it is a bad set up. But hey thats aftermarket parts for ya. If it was ac you would see very little oil and it might be green if youve had it charged.

Back