Help identify this fluid inside my rear brake shroud | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help identify this fluid inside my rear brake shroud

Bigham

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Rotated my tires and I noticed a fluid had leaked down into the inside bottom of the reak brake shroud. Checked the brakes and they are not leaking. Where could this fluid be coming from?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It could be gear oil from a leaky axle seal. Did you smell it? Gear oil has a very distinctive smell. It is almost fish-like.

If its not brake fluid it has to be the gear oil. Is it dark and a thick oil? And as Stringer said it does have a very distinct smell.

Pull the rear wheel- if it's inside the rim, it's the axle seal...

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

it does have a weird smell and it is slippery to the touch

You're right... :D

Joe, I had a wheel that looked like that, it was the axle seal leaking. I replaced them both and the bearings, cleaned the ABS sensor and filled it back up with LUCAS synthetic.

Pull the rear wheel- if it's inside the rim, it's the axle seal...

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

mine is just a little dribble inside the shroud, nothing like this. Is this what it will turn in to?

How much to repair? Is this a do it yourself job?

Outer axle tube seals are fairly easy. Just need a seal puller i believe. I have yet to try inner tube seals, seems alot harder.

Replace the outer wheel bearings when you replace the seals. No sense of draining the diff & pulling the axles twice.

Agree with Dan- not a bad job, definitely a DIY-able repair. If the axle seal is leaking, yes, that is what it will turn into... :)

Where are the inner tube seals. I didn't know there were any. If there were, the gear oil can't get to the bearings to lube them.

Agree with Dan and JoeDirt - Also, consider doing both sides (bearings and seals) while you are at it for same reason.
Also +1 for Dewey - Not aware of any "inner" axle tube seals for reason stated above.

If you did not know what you were doing you could still very easily get both axle seals done within an hour and a half m

If I had no idea what I was doing, I certainly wouldn't tie myself to an hour an a half.

An hour and a half? You must be some flat rate wizard. Seriously though, it s not a hard job to change the seals and bearings. But having the proper tools helps a bunch, and having taken the spider gears out before will help. I would plan on 2-3 hours. And, if you can get the truck up on a lift, will be a big help.

When you pull the axles to replace the seals is a very good time to overhaul the parking brakes. With the axles out cleaning up the parts and installing new shoes is easy. Bonus is the parts are cheap.

When you pull the axles to replace the seals is a very good time to overhaul the parking brakes. With the axles out cleaning up the parts and installing new shoes is easy. Bonus is the parts are cheap.

+1 on this also!! MUCH easier job with the hubs out!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

True, Romeo...I forgot to put that in my post, but I rebuilt the parking brakes which looked like they were pulled up from a shipwreck. And I did the disc brakes also, did everything at the same time. Bob is right, those parking brakes would have been a dog with the axles in.

Back