Gas tank Hit

interscope8

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Purdue University
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4x4
I was washing the underside of my truck to get all the mud out and noticed my gas tank had a dent in it... I was wondering if this will cause in problems in the future... Lol. Gauge and everything seems to be working just fine. I just wanted words of wisdom from you guys. I'll definitely be getting a skid plate for it soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks bigger than it really is in the picture.

4ae3e101.jpg

As long as there is no holes ripped in it, and its still running - you should be fine. Your gas gauge may not be totally acurate now if you bent the fuel pick-up.

Im not sure where the pick-up is in those tanks

Alright, it wasnt leaking and everything appears ok. I'll monitor my mileage and see if the gauge is still close enough. thanks for the reply

You're lucky you have the steel gas tank, if you had the plastic tank you'd be sitting where ever you bottomed out at.

As long as the tank doesn't have any holes or rips in the metal your fine, I'd definetly check the tank straps and bolts.

Your tank probably lost around a 1/2 gallon capacity if not more. Keep a close watch on the fuel gauge to see if it seems like the pick up might have been damaged.

Skid plate needs to be installed before you go out there again.

Since were on the subject. Anyone ever tried to raise the tank up higher so its not hanging so low? If i remember correctly the only real fabrication to be done was on one cross member. Happy I have the plastic tank so i dont have to worry about it rotting out. just worried about smashing it while wheeling.

I know this is old but I have some helpful info for those with steel gas tanks. You guys can use a skid plate from a 2nd Gen Ex, those of us with the 23 gallon plastic gas tanks can't tough (still looking for the skid plate for ours, mine).

Back