My DIY CAI for 5.0L XLT Explorer using off the shelf components | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My DIY CAI for 5.0L XLT Explorer using off the shelf components

nushor

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys, this is my first post here on the forums!
I picked up my Generation 2 White 1997 Explorer XLT for under a grand, and decided to do some modifications to it. I wanted to do a cold air intake, but didn't want to shell out a ton of money and have to order things online (I really don't like waiting). So, I made a trip up to the local AutoZone and used off the shelf parts to make this:
(Sorry for the huge pictures, I'll fix it tomorrow)

Fidnk.jpg

rInFp.jpg

Pretty self explanatory, popped the old system out and used 2 45 degree elbows to get the filter into the location I wanted it, then used the couplers to adapt everything together. I then drilled a hole in the one closest to the filter to add the temperature sensor (which is epoxied in). I also decided to use the stock MAF because I'm cheap and don't want to get a new one.

I still have yet to add a piece of foam to isolate the filter from the rest of the engine bay, but that's for tomorrow :) I'll post more pics when I'm done. Here is the list of parts I used:

Code:
Intake Tube 3" Chrome ABS 45° Elbow
Part #: 8738
Price:   $9.99 (x2)

Intake Coupler 3" W/2.5 Insert Black PVC
Part #: 8771
Price:   $6.99 (x2)

HPR™ Air Filter 3", 3.5", 4" Cone - 10.5" Tall - White/Chrome
Part #: 9738
Price:   $39.99 

Mass Airflow Sensor Adapter - Ford Small Alum
Part #: 8145
Price:   $14.99

[B]TOTAL:  $88.94[/B] (Before taxes)

I know the Spectre P5 filter is a bit overkill but I figured why not?
If I get the time I'll do an intake temperature difference compared to stock using Torque for Android and make some graphs with it, that's if I'm un-lazy enough to re-install the old air intake system.

That's it for now! let me know what you think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

80$ More you could have gotten the whole MAC Kit! Looks good though! Did you notice a difference? MPG/Horsepower, anything?

It's not good to have the air meter that close to a bend (downstream) because it throws the afr curve off, unless you have it specially tuned for it.

Well.. I think it sounds like it would do good. If the guy is happy with his project, let him be :D

yeah I know its not the greatest but you get what you pay for really... I didn't want to shell out $160 for a whole MAC kit. I've used Spectre products before, and I am happy with it thus far. Still haven't gotten around to putting the foam in yet.

Back