• Register Today It's free!

4.0 sohc

explorer20024x4

Reaction score
City, State
Wyoming MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Did a lot of checking of other forums did not find anyone with same problem. The problem is I am doing the timing chains and had heads off because I thought there was valve damage turns out no damage too heads. Have it all back together and did timing it seems like its binding on front cam chain???? Could it of jumped a tooth when I tightened the rear jackshaft bolt cause it was so tight and I thought I heard a ting in engine? Any clear answers what I should do next cause I know there is no damage cause it was doing this before I took heads off and there good so there not hitting anything. Thx Pls help need this done ordered the tool f it can resell it right.......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a friend who said he did this before he held front while I tightened rear. I think the chain jumped in front but when its at tdc both cams are perfect. No did it without tools I know my mistake thought it was easy but this engine is stpid made what are they smoking.

a valid method

Holding the jackshaft front sprocket retaining bolt while tightening the rear sprocket retaining bolt is a valid method. However, since neither is keyed the rear sprocket can move when tightened. That's why the camshafts are timed after the jackshaft sprockets are tightened. The camshaft timing slot should be below the camshaft axis and parallel to the head surface that mates with the valve cover when #1 piston is at TDC on the compression stroke.
cam1.jpg

Yup that is where we went wrong then he held the crankshaft while I tightened jackshaft bolt he thought there was no way it would jump well guess what it had too. Anyways after all tight and at tdc on compression stroke and cams like you said are perfect so when chain binds it must be throwing it out of time on left cam that reads the sensor and fing with computer? Also a vibration that wasn't there before could my balance shaft be out of time as well cause had too replace that guide was gone?

sensor on left camshaft

Yup that is where we went wrong then he held the crankshaft while I tightened jackshaft bolt he thought there was no way it would jump well guess what it had too. Anyways after all tight and at tdc on compression stroke and cams like you said are perfect so when chain binds it must be throwing it out of time on right cam that reads the sensor and fing with computer?

OK, I think you said that the jackshaft rear sprocket slipped when the bolt was tightened and so you retimed the right (passenger side) camshaft. If you didn't loosen the jackshaft front sprocket retaining bolt then it should not be necessary to retime the left (driver side) camshaft. The camshaft position sensor "nub" is on the left (driver side) camshaft, not the right (passenger side) camshaft.
ToolsLft.jpg

The camshaft position sensor only notifies the PCM if cylinder #1 is on compression or exhaust stroke. The PCM uses the crankshaft position sensor for ignition and injection timing.

Also a vibration that wasn't there before could my balance shaft be out of time as well cause had too replace that guide was gone?

As I recall the balance shaft chain guide can be replaced without removing the chain. The tensioner usually fails before the guide. Did you replace the tensioner? It is necessary to remove the block girdle (upper oil pan) to replace the entire balance shaft chain tensioner. Did you remove the block girdle? Did you remove the balance shaft chain?

No the right side is great its all coming from front binding and making noise from chains not sure why I thought it was when I tightened the rear jackshaft maybe the front chain jumped a tooth because he held front crankshaft when I tightened rear. I timed it after I tightened it all down too spec but its not right something has too be off and yes I replaced the tensioner on balance shaft and timed that or I thought I did lol. That is every eight revs its back at tdc for that but there is nothing in this book for that so not positive on that.

I meant left side sorry cause that's the sensor side and its binding maybe just bad chain whatever it is its not major just need it on road by end of week getting tool Thursday. I can leave engine in this time right seems its all on front I am having problems? or you think I will have too loosen rear jackshaft cause that side has no noise and in my opinion is keeping the truck running?

answer all of the questions

If you answer all of my questions I may be able to help you.

1. Did you remove the block girdle in order to replace the balance shaft tensioner?
The bolts for the tensioner base are not accessible without removing the girdle.
BlncShft.jpg

2. Did you remove the balance shaft chain?
The crankshaft sprocket must be removed to remove the balance shaft chain.
Exp019.jpg

Normally, the jackshaft front sprocket must be removed in order to remove the crankshaft sprocket. If the jackshaft front sprocket retaining bolt is loosened then the timing for both camshafts is lost.

3. If you removed the crankshaft sprocket, did you put it back facing the correct way?
CrankgearFront.JPG

It can go in facing either direction but if installed facing the wrong way the harmonic balancer will not seat correctly.

If you PM me your email address I'll send you the 2005 Mustang SOHC V6 assembly instructions that describes with drawings how to time the balance shaft as well as timing the camshafts.

jackshaft does not time the engine

I meant left side sorry cause that's the sensor side and its binding maybe just bad chain whatever it is its not major just need it on road by end of week getting tool Thursday. I can leave engine in this time right seems its all on front I am having problems? or you think I will have too loosen rear jackshaft cause that side has no noise and in my opinion is keeping the truck running?

The jackshaft is not used to time the camshafts. Once the jackshaft sprocket retaining bolts are tightened the camshaft sprockets are rotated relative to the camshafts to obtain the correct timing. The tool kit holds the camshaft timing slots in the correct position while the sprocket bolts are tightened. The tool kit has a special tool that allows the right (rear) sprocket bolt to be tightened with the engine in the vehicle. There's not enough room between the firewall and the sprocket bolt to use a regular torque wrench. The timing tool kit will not include instructions on how to time the camshafts.

Ok yes I removed the block girdle and no I left chain on it looked fine I did take sprocket off and time that before I put it back on. sprocket is between the hole where its in time and the other one is in middle of parting line every eight revs goes right back spot on tdc comp. stroke

jackshaft front sprocket?

Ok yes I removed the block girdle and no I left chain on it looked fine I did take sprocket off and time that before I put it back on. sprocket is between the hole where its in time and the other one is in middle of parting line every eight revs goes right back spot on tdc comp. stroke

So you timed the balance shaft using the original chain. That should be OK.

Did you loosen the jackshaft front sprocket retaining bolt?

If so, both camshafts should be retimed after the jackshaft sprocket bolts (front and rear) were tightened.

no didn't have too was only rear guide that broke front looked newer so just did that and balance shaft tensioner. the chain going to the left head is binding what would cause this maybe chain is bad? cause valves never hit anything thank god.

I had too retime it cause the tensioner was broke into pieces and I thought it may have jumped as loose as it was. When I started truck after was all together engine turned over easy by hand thought it was all good it starts and runs just here noise from front cover. smacking noise sounds like chain is binding too me anyways gets too a point where the tensioner is pushing back from tension and the other side of chain is slack.

ITS fixed THX alot

Thx for your help was the chain matched it up with new one and it was stretched and I replaced rear chain why it had so much noise. So don't change just one chain or you may have same problem I had.

Back