1996 4.0L OHV Fuel Injectors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 4.0L OHV Fuel Injectors

pmonahan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
My 96 Explorer is my everyday driver. It's impeccably maintained and is approaching 300,000 Miles. There's very little left to replace on this truck from front to back, inside and out.

I'm at the point where I'd like to replace the fuel injectors. I know they can be cleaned and flow tested, however I'd rather replace them for the age and the peace of mind, knowing that it's done. They're a pain in the neck to get to and I don't want to service them and then have a problem after the intake manifold in put back in, only to have to remove it again.

I've read over the forums, but I'm wondering if there is: "good, better and best" injectors for this motor. The parts stores all have a bias and recommend different injectors and I'm hoping to cut all through that and order a set of 6 today.

Any feedback from real world experiences is appreciated.

under_hood.jpg

Replacement Injectors

Injectors are made in quite a wide variety, based on original design thoughts. Some have a "low impedance", others "high". The meaning of that always seemed unusual, to me, as the "drivers" within the computer are the heftiest parts in there physically: they get hot and take a beating, as the injectors are operating most vigorously all the time. Then comes the question of "
size". For example, some Ford 5.0L V-8s used 14 lb/hr injectors, some 19, the Cobra 24. Lb/hr refers to the quantity of fuel delivered were the injector held "on" for an hour. Since their operation is time-based, the wrong "size" injector will make an engine run H.S., or worse.

When I was very active in 5.0L HO work, with Mustangs, I found the only SURE way to buy them safely, in my mind, was from Ford. JMO, but my results never faltered. imp

which injectors

Yeah I have 99ohv and replaced my injectors when I put new heads on mine, DONT BUY THE ORANGE ONES! Those are for California! I found out there was 2 types of injectors for my motor, so if you live in Cali get the orange, if not, don't get the orange. That was the major difference

I agree that the injectors on vehicles originally sold in California differ from the other 49 states. They have a lower flow rate. I question the "don't buy the orange ones" comment. My stock injectors appear to be orange (but might be called yellow) and the vehicle was not a California model.
Injector19a.jpg

Injector19b.jpg

As I recall they are rated 19 lbs/hr and the California injectors are 13 lbs/hr flow. No matter what brand of injector is purchased the flow rate and electrical characteristics should match the PCM tune and drivers. Often when replacing injectors the "insulator" will break and sometimes the tab on the electrical connector will break.
PsngrRail.jpg

The insulator part number is F77Z-9G512-AA. They cost $5.87 each from your local Ford dealer or $3.87 each from TascaParts online. I am replacing my stock electrical connectors with Delphi EV1 connectors I purchased on ebay.
DelphiEV1.jpg

Back