Looking for opinions on a 91 (lift, mods, etc) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for opinions on a 91 (lift, mods, etc)

Skydmark1

Reaction score
City, State
New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Mountaineer
Hey guys, been a while since I've been on here. Sold my explorer years ago and haven't had one in a while. There's a 91 for sale in town here that's in SUPER good shape.

Here's the sellers description -

1991 Ford 4x4 Eddie Bauer Explorer, V6, 5spd, ONLY 97xxx miles, loaded,sunroof, no rust at all, 2nd owner, never driven in salt, super clean in/out, solid all around, no leaks, $1900.00 no trades

I'd try and get it for less but up here in the salt belt you don't find many this clean unless they come from the south.

I'm also considering a Cherokee which in my mind is probably more off road capable but I don't do anything too extreme anyway. I'd be looking to lift it mildly and put 31" or 32" tires on it depending on the cost to clear those.

Also how's the aftermarket for these things nowadays. Can you get custom bumpers for winches, and things like that? I know some of these questions have been answered before but I'm looking for some opinions on if this is a wise move and if I can modify it mildly on a budget for some off roading and keep it for a number of years.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2" lift fits 32's .. ... .. ...... NO Cherokee's,,, , what's the fun in that?

Cost $89 Simple install. ( I know it says for 2wd in the add; for 4x4 just leave out the stud extension)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1997-F...rd|Model:Explorer&hash=item1e6ca52b1a&vxp=mtr

IMG_20140119_114006_zps69afd5ff.jpg

I know I'll totally get bashed for this but... what's the point in a lift? Looks? Or is it more functional, to clear bigger tires and gain more ground clearance with those bigger tires? Or perhaps give a little more ground clearance to prevent high centering?

How difficult is it to do that 2" lift and what are the practical benefits of it?

I ask because when I think of ground clearance, I think of differentials and axle tubes. Only way to get those higher is to get much larger tires, then you gotta worry about extra stress, re-gearing and have deeper pockets.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still learning and understanding :)

That looks good! Ok so nice to know what I can do with it. I stopped and looked at the 91. The interior is beaten up pretty bad but the frame and body are really good. Also needs tires. Not worth $1900, but I might low ball him and see where it gets me.

Also [MENTION=241671]natenkiki2004[/MENTION] - yes a lift will allow you to clear larger tires thus increasing your ground clearance and enhancing your off road performance. You also get the added benefit of looking like a badass :)

For the coil spacers I got some 1/4 inch thick 2x2" tube steel for 10$ and drilled the holes on a buddies drill press I forget what size bit I used. And got some 3/8's inch thick flat stock for the shackles.But I went with a 2" body lift also made of tube steel and I am running 33 12.50 on stock jeep rims ( which I still need to get balanced) with only a little rub when I turn to sharp on the front swaybar. All in all I think my lift costed maybe 45$ and another 35$ for new body mount bolts from boltdepot.com. my diffs were at about 7" of clearance to almost 9 1/4". Good luck with the build.

Cool,

I bought these from supreme because of the material they use for the pucks.

"Duralon" It's harder than nylon and a lot tougher than aluminum or urethane.

Excellent noise isolation, better than factory pads.

NOTE: Remember; the stud extension is not used on 4x4 models. Not real clear on that in the instructions. The lower coil spring stud on the 4x4's is already longer than the 2x4's

Cool,

I bought these from supreme because of the material they use for the pucks.

"Duralon" It's harder than nylon and a lot tougher than aluminum or urethane.

Excellent noise isolation, better than factory pads.

NOTE: Remember; the stud extension is not used on 4x4 models. Not real clear on that in the instructions. The lower coil spring stud on the 4x4's is already longer than the 2x4's

Sounds good. I will be installing the lift this weekend

Mine or Fr-25

Yep, Help any?

IMG_20140308_065204_zpse3fb20c4.jpg

IMG_20140308_065237_zps6f58b46e.jpg

Yep, Help any?

IMG_20140308_065204_zpse3fb20c4.jpg

IMG_20140308_065237_zps6f58b46e.jpg

Yea, thanks alot. I got mine in today as well as a pair of HD shackles that add 1.5" lift. Looks really good. :D

:ttiwwp: Pics!

Here it is.

IMG_1624_zps3738ad7e.jpg

IMG_1625_zps9e26a387.jpg

IMG_1626_zpsdb1ca192.jpg

IMG_1627_zps9e0e72aa.jpg

IMG_1628_zps84e95db6.jpg

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

So, now you thinking about come'n to MOAB in may?

Short drive. So far there is about 10 of us going.

There will be some other stock and light modified trucks there. Including me.

Still have two months to prepare.

I'll be up there from the 14th - 21st. The 17th & 18th are Sat. & Sun

Here's the link to the MOAB run thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396931

So, now you thinking about come'n to MOAB in may?

Short drive. So far there is about 10 of us going.

There will be some other stock and light modified trucks there. Including me.

Still have two months to prepare.

I'll be up there from the 14th - 21st. The 17th & 18th are Sat. & Sun

Here's the link to the MOAB run thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396931

I would love to but i can't. I'm hoping to make it out there next year.

1st gens can be had for 1000 or less any day. For 1900, it better have some great wheels and tires

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I had my 97 b4000 I went to a bolt supplier and bought large washers and stacked them under the front springs,,4 under each spring, got about 1 1\2 - 2 inches of lift for $10,,later I installed the 2 inch skyjackers and it handled much better. Those spacers look really tall,,have you been able to align it? Pretty sure about a half inch spacer lifts the truck about 1 1|2".

Back