Mounty side mirror puddle lights on an Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mounty side mirror puddle lights on an Sport Trac

N2FORD

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kingston,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4wd
Well since I have the donor Mounty at the house I decided to take the mirrors off and try them on the ST. Both trucks go to have the V8 swap next weekend. It is not a easy direct swap as it required wiring which I am not done with yet and the trim areas don't match up perfect.

Attachments

• 0119140653.jpg
    0119140653.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 415
  • 0119140656.jpg
    0119140656.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 412
  • 0119140656a.jpg
    0119140656a.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 420
  • 0119140657.jpg
    0119140657.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 424

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So after I got them mounted I had to try them, I ran the wires on the passenger side to an extra battery I have and just hooked it up. I still don't have the drivers side wire ran yet as I am trying to figure out how to get the wires though the door into the body. I am still not sure where I want to run the wires to, thinking a switch so I can have them on when I want them. The other pictures are of the fit of the mirror to the door, not perfect but decent after a little trimming. If anyone knows how to get the extra wire though the drivers door let me know. On that side I also have a short I guess because when the door is fully opened the interior light and key chimer goes on and off.

Attachments

• 0119140701.jpg
    0119140701.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 406
  • 0119141707.jpg
    0119141707.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 405
  • 0119141729a.jpg
    0119141729a.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 397

Looking good man, keep us in the loop on the V-8 swap too!

yeh i did this when i added power mirrors mine came off a gen2 eddie and i love them them next is license plate light in my running board caps to light the board and rock lights under the frame.

Do you have you mirror lights on a switch or did you tap into another source like interior lights? I think I will put them on a switch but it would be nice to have them come on when I hit the unlock button. Maybe there is a way to do both I am not thinking of??

Hmmm..I just recently bought my daughter an '02 Sport. I've been "eyeballing" the puddle lamps on the mirrors. I wonder if they would plug-n-play on my '03 ST? Guess there's only one way to find out:)

Definitely not plug and play. the plugs and pins match but the fourth wire pin will be empty. The wiring is simple if you already have power mirrors as you only need to run a triggered hot for lamps. I tapped my dome light. Each mirror plug end has two motor hots, and a ground. The 4-5 wire is for puddle and heated.

Darn. Well, if I find myself with nothing else to do to the ST. (I doubt it:) ) I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the info!! Saved me from taking off the panels just to discover a 'no go'. Thanks

Darn. Well, if I find myself with nothing else to do to the ST. (I doubt it:) ) I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the info!! Saved me from taking off the panels just to discover a 'no go'. Thanks
the plugs match and the standard three pins that your power mirrored trac have match the puddles and/or heated. issue is running a single wire from your dome, switch, keyless entry, etc. its not a hard upgrade from a factory trac w/ power mirrors.

Update: After having an engine but in my ST I finally got around to wiring the mirrors up. I decided to run the wires (I used good grade speaker wire) to the front dome lights. This way they come on when I hit the power door locks, open the door and I can even turn them on independent of each other with the buttons on the front console. I T taped into the positive wires independent of each other and used one as a common ground.

Attachments

• 0923140558.jpg
    0923140558.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 275

That's a neat idea of running them off the map lights

Good idea, just watch the wires being that close to the lights. They get really hot.

I am running led bulbs in both the overhead console map lights and mirror puddle lights to keep the heat to a minimum.

Smart.

Back