Another way to lift

Flash

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Brisbane Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Limited
Apparently a previous owner had done a TT lowering to my Limited to match the sagged back springs.

And didn't do an alignment so I had negative camber and toe out. I adjusted the the toe but the tyres were already stuffed so I replaced the 235/15/15s with 265/70/16s.

So now I needed to lift it back up again.

I didn't want to do extended shackles, springs had a bit of reverse curve at the ends and I thought slightly stiffer springs would be good.

The cheapest replacement springs in these parts were $563.

So I tried something else.

I had a pair of coil springs from the rear of a Lancer (Mirage) that I clamped on to the flat area of the leaf springs behind the axle and clamped the top to the chassis rail.

Instant 2 1/2 inch lift and the spring rate feels the same.

The same? I figure that the leaves don't contribute to the springing until they are compressed to the height that they were before I installed the coils so in effect I have the spring rates of a 1994 Lancer which works surprisingly well.

But I want it firmer. I have a set of BMW M5 coils and a pair of 1 ton VW van coils with airbags inside them that I can try.

The Lancer coils are ok for now until I get some Konis for the back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How about a pic?

I have a feeling it's gonna look scary

I have a feeling it's gonna look scary

It is a bit, it's quite safe but a bit kludgey.

This isn't it's final form, this was more a proof of concept.

I had the same issue as you, except for the dropped front end. The ends of my springs do have a slight downwards bow, but I rolled the dice and went with the AAL, WAR 153, TT, new tires/rims, new Rancho extended shocks.

I could not be happier with the way it turned out.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419615

How about a pic?

20150203_105301_zpsd072f7a6.jpg

It won't be staying like this, Im going to mount the VW springs on top of the axle using these or something like it.

hey all,

Not that I'm promoting other brands or sites here, but I had a Toyota 4runner at one point and adding a coil in this manner was called a "Zuk Mod" in the Yota world. see here

http://www.yotatech.com/f129/zuk-mod-250033/

I did this to mine and it worked exremely well, even in off camber but the Yota seems to hold the srpings in well due to the bumpstop style.

Wow, it looks like they were made for it.

yep, I used the Jeep TJ rear springs and they sat in there like they had eyes! I drilled the bump stop bracket on top and used a nut and bolt and a Ford truck coil clamp for insurance, worked like a charm and are still in it as far as I know, unless the Yota rotted away around them! LOL

Back