Another coil spring choice.. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another coil spring choice..

I know there was a guy a long time ago here for a very short time that used TJ springs. They were like 10" lift ones or something crazy but they were super flexy on the EX. Maybe look into that...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did some more digging in the shed and I found the 2nd pair of springs I got from "94 crawler". This set is a set of skyjacker 6"? springs. (350 ppi?)

I installed the skyjacker springs without the f-150 spacers and it lifted the front another 1.5".

We have been running progressive rate springs for the last 200k miles so it just feels odd having linear rate springs. I haven't tried to flex them all the way yet but I can tell they are stiffer at speed than the duff springs. I don't know if I'm going to stick with these, drop to 300 ppi springs or try to find a set of progressives to run.

At least for now I have something that I can use temporarily.. I really need to dig through all my parts more often.. Not only did I find the springs in there but I found 2 sets of camber/caster cams and quick connect extended sway bar links.

~Mark

..I will take your overflow parts..That would let me play around with a couple different variations too...

..Seriously pm me if you decide to clear some of this stuff out now that you found it..:D

I know there was a guy a long time ago here for a very short time that used TJ springs. They were like 10" lift ones or something crazy but they were super flexy on the EX. Maybe look into that...

Possible they were XJ springs? (TJ springs are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy soft lol)

I run XJs on my BII. They'd probably also work well on a 2-door Ex, but I'm not sure if they'd be too soft for a heavier 4-door. Couldn't hurt to try though (you'd get way better flex than with any coil made for the TTB lol).
Early Bronco coils are another option if the 240PPI XJs are too soft. Many are around 300-325 PPI. Skyjacker's 6" TTB coils seem to be in the low-400s, like around 410 or so.

I'm using the JD new upper coil buckets and then their lower coil seats for the early bronco. They have to be modified slightly to work on the D35. I had to drill a hole in the center for the bolt and then notch it to fit around the part of the beam that goes up where the ball joints attach the knuckle.

3bfdffd5.jpg

I then used Moog springs for a stock early F150 to get the softer spring rate. If you used a setup similar to this it would allow you to use any of the early bronco/F150 springs.

9036756b.jpg

efdf8867.jpg

60a382b9.jpg

It flexs good enough for me.

Steve

Back