• Register Today It's free!

Headlight LED Upgrade

tkahale

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Referencing my earlier post, I'd like to upgrade my stock bulbs to LED like the lights in Audis and BMWs (I'm not sure of the correct terminology). I'd like to make the color of the bulbs to my white Oracle halos. I need to know what type of connector comes stock with a 2012 XLT. Suggestions on bulbs would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm fine with the stock halogens but I'm wanting to eventually tint my lights as well so I was planning on upgrading the bulbs anyways. I figured I'd go with LEDs because I prefer the white light output over regular halogen.

I and another member have upgraded our regular halogen bulbs to LED with these:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/161642725572?nav=SEARCH
I would recommend them 100%. They are completely plug and play installation however you do need to secure the "ballast" box somewhere near the headlight.

Here is a comparison picture, stock bulb on the left, LED on the right.
temporary_zpsvu5ql8xo.jpg

I and another member have upgraded our regular halogen bulbs to LED with these:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/161642725572?nav=SEARCH
I would recommend them 100%. They are completely plug and play installation however you do need to secure the "ballast" box somewhere near the headlight.

Here is a comparison picture, stock bulb on the left, LED on the right.
temporary_zpsvu5ql8xo.jpg

Not to HiJack but would these be better than my ddm HID system? I feel I love everything else that is LED... AMAZING

Not to HiJack but would these be better than my ddm HID system? I feel I love everything else that is LED... AMAZING
HID's are brighter than LED. Also, in the photo you'll see that the LED has lost some of the sharp cut-off and has a greater amount of scattered light above the horizontal line. This I believe is because the internal projector, designed for halogen, is unable to properly focus the beam. I would guess that would be a little irritating to oncoming traffic.

Peter

The headlights suck. I want to upgrade immediately
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread has been merged with this one. You can find several other threads on upgrading (LED, HID) as well by using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature (upper right).
Also, please add the trim level of your Explorer to your profile so it shows in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

Back