97 explorer randomly tries to die. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 explorer randomly tries to die.

KQ750man

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer 4.0 awd
i have a 97 ford explorer smaller 4.0... at complete random it will stumble when turning left some times it will die. but i can fire it right back up. brand new fuel filter in tank sock an pump. does it full tank half tank almost empty doesnt matter. but its only turning left no check engine light or codes. itll do it 3-4 times a day then others it wont do it..some times go a few days or even a few weeks then bam randomly does it only turning left. any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use the search window at the top left of the page. There are quite a few threads on this issue. With the new pump in the mix, one could draw the conclusion that the problem lies there. Airtex is normally the pump maker where problems occur. I refuse to install them. A couple of things that could have went wrong are...improper location of the new pump when installed in the sending unit or the pick up sock not popping in place correctly...resulting in the sock falling off and sediment getting in and clogging. You could also be experiencing a fuel pump relay that has a loose connection or corrosion on the pins. There is also a possible loose wire going into the relay location.

Ok I'll search again but last time I did I didn't find any.

Not sure on what pump I think I did install a airtex actually. I'll drop the tank an Check everything. I checked swapped relays still does it. Just stumped cause it's literally only left hand turns. But I'll search the forum again

There was a technical service bulletin that did come up on a forum search that may (?) apply. On the Airtex...I put my 3rd on in my 95 Ex Sport and said never again. I put a Precision Fuel Pump fro O'Reilly and never looked back. I've now installed several of their pumps and have yet to have a problem.

yeah ill deff check it out. i just wasnt sure if it was the pump cause right after i got the explorer the pump went out on me. so i dont know if it was doing it before the new pump or not. but its deffinately a place to start cause iv been stumped.

While I don't have a 97 Explorer I believe there is an arrow on the top flange of the pump to line it up with a notch or bump on the tank to ensure the orientation of the pump and pickup are correct...You can see it in the picture here... I would check that flange and see if the pump is lined up before condemning the pump...
Also what is the fuel pump pressure?Since your Ex has a return line to the tank the pressure should be 35-43 psi and if your pressure is staying in range the pump is not the problem...

Attachments

• IMAG0194.jpg
    IMAG0194.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 108

Back