Loose seats but bolts are tight?

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
So I never really had anyone in the passenger seat before I gutted my interior. I carefully removed the 4 bolts holding the front seats on, and was careful when handling the seat/setting it down, etc.

I carpool with my father in law, hes a bigger guy, probably 6'1" and 275-300lbs. Anytime I accellerate, turn, hit a bump, etc the passenger seat acts as if the bolts arent torqued down. I double checked, and they are. The "feet" do not move whatsoever, but it seems as if the seat is loose somehow on the tracks. My drivers seat is the same, though its not nearly as bad.

I didnt get a great look, but are there bolts holding the chair to the tracks? The only thing I saw looked like the shape of a beer bottle cap, not a bolt/nut.

Its quite annoying hearing the seat move, as well as my passengers all saying "Hey I think this seat is broke/loose."

Anybody else have this issue and/or know a fix?

This is the best picture I could get of that thing I'm talking about that seems to be the culprit.
C0000FA0-BD0C-484B-A365-D87935679A18_zpst0vkdcja.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like a 12-point bolt, find a socket that fits and snug it up. But to answer your question about the seat tracks to seat there should be some hardware that connects the two and I'd imagine over time they may loosen up, it'd be easiest to try and tighten them up out of the truck so you have the most access.

Yeah, I took the day off work and im gonna work on that today. Ill take plenty of pictures and make a write up in case anyone else has this issue. Its gotten way worse the past week, everytime I give it gas I can hear his seat move and its so frustrating. Then when my light as a feather girlfriend gets in, its so little "pressure" on the seat that when it moves, it squeaks also.

So whatever these are, they are not meant to be tightened or loosened. They get bigger as you get closer to the base, and there is absolutely no chance of getting any kind of socket on them with any grip. Plus the other end is slathered in some red threadlocker.

I dont understand these seat tracks, most asinine design if you ask me. Bolts that cant be tightened or loosened, but eventually need tightening apparently.

I didnt unbolt the whole assembly to remove the seats like I did before, each corner has 2 star-bit type bolts that I took off, which removes the seat from the track. The part that the seat bolts on to is what is loose. All 4 corners can move around to be on an angle front or back which I dont understand, but the backs both have some side to side play which is where the noise and movement comes from.

25930837-4594-42EF-816A-11024EA22617_zpspl8iadix.jpg

Its the middle "bolt" that needs tightening, which is where the inside piece "hinges" if that makes sense. I have a video thats taking forever to upload to show whats going on.

h_B9E6DFA9-5167-422B-9019-192DFD9EDA1E_zpscnbljnqs.jpg

(Click to view the Photobucket video)

I'm having a similar issue, my drivers seat feels loose, I can feel it rock forward during breaking....

sounds like a job for the hardware store bolt section... extract that sucker and make something work... does not look too complex but retarded none the less

Vice-grips.

Back