• Register Today It's free!

4.6 Engine Removal Questions

cmellios

Reaction score
City, State
FSJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer 4.6 EB
Hey I have a couple questions regarding the engine removal on my 3rd gen.

I have the tech manuals and I am following them religiously, but my only question is why do I need to remove the transmission and transfer case.. Just seems like its not necessary, at least from my view point.

Can anyone WITH engine removal experience gimme insight on why I need to.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are in the same shoes I was few months ago. Mine is 2006 with 4.6, little different but same idea. I also bought Ford shop manuals, they call to remove the tranny and transfer case and bunch of other staff.
Don't.

I pulled it out like any other engine with tranny in place. Unbolt the engine mounts, remove the upper intake to get access to the top tranny bolts, remove the radiator, fan, disconnect fuel lines, torque convertor bolts, piece of a chain and the engine comes out.

nice, thats the response I was wanting to hear lol. thank you for the feedback

same question

Thanks for posting the question! I had the same thought when I reviewed the 2002 shop manual procedure for pulling the engine. I wondered if there wasn't enough room in the engine bay to move the engine forward enough to disengage the transmission input shaft.

When you remove the radiator and the fan, you gain plenty of room to move it forward and up.

This is my job:

IMG_3612_zpstlzxvhip.jpg

IMG_3611_zps5hubz1sw.jpg

IMG_3616_zpsnpilhq1f.jpg

When you remove the radiator and the fan, you gain plenty of room to move it forward and up.

This is my job:

IMG_3612_zpstlzxvhip.jpg

IMG_3611_zps5hubz1sw.jpg

IMG_3616_zpsnpilhq1f.jpg

Oh no! How did you kill that v8! I've rarely seen a v8 die on these vehicles, mine still runs strong in the 04 lol :D

In my experience, manuals always tell you to do steps, remove things that aren't necessary.

Anthony -

I did not kill it, I still have it in my garage. At 202k miles it started making valve train noises at every stop sign. I went to 2 shops and they said I need a new motor. They quoted me 4k for a used one and 6k for a new one from Ford. I thanked them, got a low mileage one from some warehouse with 55k miles and put it in.
I started the truck and it was doing exactly same thing - I almost got depressed and had to see a doctor :) (just kidding - I was pissed).
Then I took it to Ford shop and they diagnosed that my torque convertor was locked up 100% and it was never disengaging the motor from the tranny when you press the brake pedal as it was supposed to do, then it was trying to stall the motor, oil pressure was dropping and the valves were making noise. But in the end the motor is still good and I have it.
So I got a new TC from Ford for $ 250, and pulled the motor out again instead of tranny since I knew that better. It took maybe just 7 hrs the second time to pull the motor out, about 2 minutes to swap the TC and put it back.

IMG_3339_zpsmjeheoca.jpg

IMG_3345_zpspkvhiwnt.jpg

IMG_3618_zps50kb40x6.jpg

And yes, those motors if maintained, they last. Oil changes are crucial due to camshaft phasers being very sensitive to oil quality and pressure, something that 4.6 2 valve don't have.

hey guys, couple more questions as im getting closer to getting the engine out..

1. What method did you guys use to hold the transmission up? I thinking a 2x4 and some ratchet straps

2. What lines did you remove for the AC compressor? I still have lines attached to it, and I followed all the steps from the manual. Wondering if itll all come out nicely or will something still be attached to the body..

3. Do you need to remove the starter?

I'll probably have a couple more questions in a bit after I undo the transmission bellhousing bolts.

1. What method did you guys use to hold the transmission up? I thinking a 2x4 and some ratchet straps
I was going to make something, but got this jack from HF on sale for $49/$59. It's held the tranny in place for a year now.
http://m.harborfreight.com/450-lb-capacity-transmission-jack-39178.html

2. What lines did you remove for the AC compressor? I still have lines attached to it, and I followed all the steps from the manual. Wondering if itll all come out nicely or will something still be attached to the body..
the lines go through the firewall into the cab. Remove all attachment points to the engine if you aren't opening it up.
3. Do you need to remove the starter?
havent done this, but it looks like the starter bolts to the trans, from the pic in the post above.

I'll probably have a couple more questions in a bit after I undo the transmission bellhousing bolts.

thanks number4

I should have clarified that i need to move the vehichle out of the shop, so that transmission jack wont work for me. Im just going to stick some 2x4's under the car with a ratchet strap.

As for the AC, i also didnt explain my question properly. I want to know if i need to remove the compressor from the engine. I personally would rather have it all come out so I can just bolt it to the new 5.4 im buying. Its hard to see whats going on in that area cause of the lack of space.

nevermind about the AC, I moved some stuff out of the way and saw the one bolt holding the AC lines down. Undid it and solved that mystery.

Back