• Register Today It's free!

Needs tips on replacing engine

Explode1982

Reaction score
City, State
York pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer xlt
Hi everyone. I am going to attempt to replace my 4.6 in my 02 explorer. Does anyone have experience replacing one before?? Do I need to take the trans out first?? Is there any tricks or tips you can share?? I bought a Haynes manual. And it says the trans needs removed. I'm not sure why this is. Why can't it stay in?? Along with transfer case, drive-shat, axles, ect.

Thanks for your help in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also should I replace anything on junkyard engine before I install??

You can let thet trans in but it makes installation tougher because of having to line up everything properly.

Also should I replace anything on junkyard engine before I install??

Unless I had a lot of data on the used engine, my general incination would be to tear it down and build it back with new rings and bearings, plus timing chains with tensioners and followers. Plus I would inspect everything for wear and damage, including valves, oil pump, head gaskets,, plus all the topside stuff (plugs, injectors).

This would alll be because I would not want to do two engine removals and replacements when one would do.

If you are going to go through all of that on the used engine why not just rebuild the one that's in it now?

If you are going to go through all of that on the used engine why not just rebuild the one that's in it now?

Good point, unless one needed to do a rapid down and back up, necessitating a ready to install unit in pocket in parallel with the old unit coming out.

Good point. I don't want to do this job twice. I'm know going to buy a rebuilt engine from LKQ. Price seems fair $2150 plus core.

Yeah, as said the transmission shouldn't need removed....it can just be a pita aligning the engine and trans back together. Just make sure when you're torquing the intake and exhaust bolts that you use a torque wrench so that you don't over or under tighten them. You may find taking pictures before unhooking everything and taking them during the tear down process helpful.

Back