My 2004 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2004 Explorer

Truck?

Anthony, is that your truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thread

Yes that is my truck
I can't wait to see what you are going to do with yours

Why haven't you made a thread for your truck? That looks real good under the hood! Would like to see pictures of the outside of it.

Why haven't you made a thread for your truck? That looks real good under the hood! Would like to see pictures of the outside of it.

Thanks
Ok I am going do a thread weekend

Transmission out, seal in

Pulled the transmission tonight, already replaced the front seal. Tomorrow it goes back in.
Found 1 torque converter nut missing. I am just amazed at the poor quality of work that was performed on this vehicle before I purchased it. HACK!
Notice how dark the transfer case is, the vent tube was not connected and it was on the other side just hanging there.

1. Trans
2. Transmission vent dry
3. Had to make taller feet for my trans jack, again.
4. Bracket that holds fuel line and evap emissions line (they were both off).
DSC03990.jpg
DSC03994.jpg
DSC04005.jpg
DSC04013.jpg

Hub Bearings

This post is out of order, I did these back on 3-6-2016.
The front brakes had a pulsation, the drivers side made a creaky noise as the caliper was moving in and out due to the warped rotors. Even worse was a bearing noise that I thought was a hub bearing or possibly the front differential bearings.
Rotors were cut very thin, one was below min discard spec and the other was only .010 above.
I replaced both front rotors, the pads, and both hub bearings. I was glad when the bearing noise was gone, wont have to rebuild the front diff after all.

Coatings on the wheels are bubbling, found water behind the center caps when I took of the wheels. Front CV shaft threads were all rusty, wire brushed and oiled them up before removal.
DSC03980.jpg
DSC03989.jpg

Spacer Plate

Not a crack in that rotor, just rust.

So I finished installing the front seal and there is still a leak at the front of the transmission.
It gets worse.
As I was installing the starter(after reinstalling the transmission), I noticed there is no spacer plate between the engine and flex plate. It was not there, I never removed it.

The Ford workshop manual says it has one. I am pretty sure it should have one, the starter doesn't seem to fit quite right and there is an opening at the bottom right of the bellhousing that just doesn't look like it should be there. Maybe I am wrong, maybe the spacer plate mentioned in the workshop manual is the one between the crankshaft and flexplate?
Can anyone with a 2004 explorer with 4.0 SOHC confirm it should be there?
DSC04017.jpg

cant say about 2004, but i know every SOHC, or ford motor for that, that i have ever pulled HAS a shim plate (separation plate, what ever you want to call it). they can also be put in or taken out without removing the flex plate (or drop on your head when you least expect it, ask me how i know).

Engine has been changed

In a post by 2000streetrod, he mentioned that the last 8 numbers of the VIN are stamped on the back of the engine on the left side.
This picture confirms my suspicion that the engine had been changed. All the missing bolts and loose brackets are what clued me in.
Looks like this engine is from a 2005. I wonder what happened to that poor Explorer.
DSC04027.jpg

In a post by 2000streetrod, he mentioned that the last 8 numbers of the VIN are stamped on the back of the engine on the left side.
This picture confirms my suspicion that the engine had been changed. All the missing bolts and loose brackets are what clued me in.
Looks like this engine is from a 2005. I wonder what happened to that poor Explorer.

Wow

In Progress

I ordered the plate that goes between the engine and transmission.
Also ordered a pump and torque converter. I am planning on a full rebuild now, so when time allows I will tear it down if everything goes well.

I found a used transmission with transfercase for $600.00 so I bought it and brought it home tonight. The guy I got it from, bought the donor explorer that was slightly wrecked. He installed the engine from the same truck in his Explorer and said the transmission worked fine (we will see). The transmission and transfercase were already pulled out, they were still bolted together and the torque converter is still in the front of the transmission. He even had two of his employees help load it into my truck. I used an engine crane to remove it from the back of my 1998 4 door explorer. Bonus, there is a shield on the back of the transfercase that was missing on mine. lol.

I will clean the outside up a little and should be able to swap it in this weekend. If it works then I will have time to rebuild the leaking one, but most importantly time to get my supercharged truck ready for My first race this year.

I ordered the plate that goes between the engine and transmission.
Also ordered a pump and torque converter. I am planning on a full rebuild now, so when time allows I will tear it down if everything goes well.

I found a used transmission with transfercase for $600.00 so I bought it and brought it home tonight. The guy I got it from, bought the donor explorer that was slightly wrecked. He installed the engine from the same truck in his Explorer and said the transmission worked fine (we will see). The transmission and transfercase were already pulled out, they were still bolted together and the torque converter is still in the front of the transmission. He even had two of his employees help load it into my truck. I used an engine crane to remove it from the back of my 1998 4 door explorer. Bonus, there is a shield on the back of the transfercase that was missing on mine. lol.

I will clean the outside up a little and should be able to swap it in this weekend. If it works then I will have time to rebuild the leaking one, but most importantly time to get my supercharged truck ready for My first race this year.

more power to you

Update

So I swapped the used transmission in. Added 6 quarts of Mercon V and still is not full. Tomorrow I will get some more and top it off. Good thing is that it looks like there is no leaks.

Note, the transfer case is a 2003, it has front and rear transfer case speed sensors but my 2004 does not. Looks like the module just doesn't use them in 2004. I had to move 1 ground wire in the connector to make the 2003 T case work in my 2004. We will see tomorrow if it al works.

New Pictures

Transmission works, no major leaks.
New pictures.
Truck is a good 10 footer = looks good from 10 feet away.
Missing some paint from the right front bumper and smaller area on left rear bumper. Also has some scratches.
Still got some things to work on, front upper balljoints, rear rotors and brakes, amp wiring, remote start. Want to drop the trans pan and change the filter now that I know it works.
Edit: Note on tires - they sure fill the wheel wells better. The back fit with plenty of clearance. The front is real close to the knuckle, about .25 to .5 inch clearance. No rubbing on the knuckles but I will have to keep an eye on them. There is a very slight amount or rub on the front plastic shields at full locks left or right, very slight.
DSC04046.jpg
DSC04048.jpg
DSC04049.jpg
DSC04052.jpg

Looking good.

Explorer remote start

Thanks!

Just ordered a remote start. Also ordered a pressure bleeder to use as a transmission fluid filler. Hope it works better than the suction pump I was using. I plan to put a valve on the hose so it can be turned on and off. After ordering this one I saw the one made for trans fluid filling, whoops.
Remote start.jpg
power bleeder filler.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those grippers look good on there, really like the white letters!

Back