What else do you 3rd Gen owners want? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What else do you 3rd Gen owners want?

Brandon@BTF-fab

Reaction score
City, State
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
87 ranger
Just wondering what other accessories you folks may want for your Gen 3 explorers. Rock sliders/step bars? Front skidplate bumpers, winch bumpers? Brush guards? Some would be pretty pricey to ship, but I guess that's the norm. I would need a guinea pig truck for the first one, then can make jigs for the rest. Some things may require welding to install, but IMO, Offroad folks should have a welder, or at least access to one :) let me know what you guys want and let's see if we can make it happen!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rock sliders would be awesome! As far as I know no one out there makes them for our 3rd gens..I've wanted some for some time now but keep coming up disappointed.

sliders, bumpers, skid plate set, oh and a SAS kit pppplllllleeeeeaaaasssseeee

I think the problem with rocksliders is that shipping (size and weight) them to TN or VA will inflate the cost by at least another 40% or so.

I think the problem with rocksliders is that shipping (size and weight) them to TN or VA will inflate the cost by at least another 40% or so.

I agree completely... But, if there are no local options for people to have these made, then it is what it is. Shipping is rough, I know some of our long travel kits cost over a couple hundred to ship.

front skid plate for my lowered ex :thumbsup:

How about a bolt on skid plate package?

skid plate and some n-fab style sliders :)

need coilovers

A big improvement would b a change to coilovers, ormaybe a btf 6 inch kit including a body lift! that would b a sure winner!

I would like to be able to have a 1.5-2" lift kit (uniball arms and such) with a rear SAS kit that utilize leaf springs or coils (hopefully it wont lift the rear of the truck up too much). Front skid plate, transfer case skid plate.

a REAL bull bar, skid-plate, and sliders would be my votes...

rear bumper, 2" hitch, D-Rings ??

Bolt-on coilovers are coming somewhat soon for the 4th gens, should be adjustable from about 0" to +3" or so, and will eliminate the need for strut Spacers. I can work on 3rd Gen shortly after, I think they're very close, if not the same overall dimensions as far as the struts go but not totally sure yet.
Sliders seem like a good idea as well.

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming. :)

coilovers suspension

maybe a mount for the top that would adapt an existing coilover to the explorer suspension and some of those sweet arms to go with it! The bottom mounts are a pretty straght forward design, i m thingking like a flat plate with two tabs hanging down and an adjustable coilover of the appropriate length!

maybe a mount for the top that would adapt an existing coilover to the explorer suspension and some of those sweet arms to go with it! The bottom mounts are a pretty straght forward design, i m thingking like a flat plate with two tabs hanging down and an adjustable coilover of the appropriate length!

The lower mounts on gen3's are recessed into the arm, so a custom rod end will be machined as well as custom misalign Spacers for use of the stock mounting hardware. Upper mount will likely be tabs welded to a flange.

arms

I m not going to be able tobuy arms this year , will you still b making them next year, or is it on a per order basis!

How about reinforced front and rear bumper brackets to raise the bumper after a body lift? Most are just flipping their bumper over (ghetto). Something that will be strong enough so one could still use their hitch as stock..

The only thing holding me back from the body lift too is that I tow a heavy boat and enclosed trailer pretty often....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back