Tire recommendations | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire recommendations

Looking for tire recommendations. I have a 99 Ex 4 door 2wd. Looking for good wet/ dry traction, highway & around town, no snow.
Would like to know what people have ran and been happy with.
Thanks.

I'm currently running general grabber at2 tires and they're great. They feel really smooth around town and handle the heavy downpours here in FL well. My stock tire size was 28.5" and the at2 tires I installed are 29" but I haven't had any negative effects due to the slightly larger size. In fact I now have better traction with the wider tires. I used to have a problem where I would lose traction when accelerating on wet roads. Now I can't make my tires spin like I used to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have run the cooper AT3's and they really are a good tire. Excellent snow traction. A little noisy, but it's truck and these are a pretty aggressive tread. I no longer need the snow traction, thankfully. I'm going to check out the defenders they most people are praising here. Thanks for all the input.

The ones I took off my Explorer were put on by the previous owner and with them on the truck it felt "squishy" while driving.

That is what I read about the Firestone Destination tires, that their sidewall is a little more flexible compared to tires like the BFG / Cooper Discoverer / General Grabber.

Destination LE2 is passenger rated. Passenger rated tires typically have thinner sidewalls than LT rated tires.

Destination LE2 is passenger rated. Passenger rated tires typically have thinner sidewalls than LT rated tires.

The second generation Destination LE2's are rated as a Light Truck/SUV Tire now by Firestone (Now they may say that but they shouldn't be for how crappy their sidewalls still are). Size I took off was 235-70-16 and mine were the latest generation. They improved the sidewalls but they were still not as strong as they should be for being rated and built for light trucks and suv's along with the size I took off as rated for XL (Extra Load). Imho just a typical POS Firestone product. I've been in the Firestone/Bridgestone plant and I can tell you that the quality of the molds used are vastly superior on the Bridgestone side. I've used Bridgestone on a few vehicles from my Z28 SS to our Z71 to my recently sold '99 Grand Cherokee nothing but great products.

http://www.onlinetires.com/products...5%2F70-16+firestone+destination+le2+107t.html

https://www.firestonetire.com/tire/destination-le-2

The second generation Destination LE2's are rated as a Light Truck/SUV Tire now by Firestone (Now they may say that but they shouldn't be for how crappy their sidewalls still are). Size I took off was 235-70-16 and mine were the latest generation. They improved the sidewalls but they were still not as strong as they should be for being rated and built for light trucks and suv's along with the size I took off as rated for XL (Extra Load).

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/firestone/235%2F70-16+firestone+destination+le2+107t.html

https://www.firestonetire.com/tire/destination-le-2

By second generation do you mean a second generation of LE is LE2, or that LE2 has a second generation and nobody has updated their websites?

Neither onlinetires nor Firestone are listing them as LT. Saying they're for SUVs and light trucks is not the same as LT rating. Those you linked have a load index of 107 which is the same as the P235/70/16 on Tire Rack:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...hite Letters&partnum=37TR6DLE2OWLXL&tab=Sizes

LE2's are now in their second generation. 235-70-16's are XL meaning Xtra Load and are considered a Light Truck, SUV and Van tire by multiple sites. LT tires are heavier yes and a different rating. They are not passenger tires though. Regardless as I stated they are junk POS tires. We've had one set on a Liberty and then I bought my Xplorer and it had a newer set of them on there, I knew what they were like in the snow and rain and I was not going through that again.

Michelin LTX and Bridgestone Dueler Revo are the best two tires I've experienced. They are comfy, stick to the road, wear even and are quiet. BFG Longtrails developed cracks in the tread prematurely, kinda loud tread noise and seemed "bouncy" but they were 275's. Rolled a set of Dayton Timberlines for 2 years on an old ex and found them to be better than expected, no complaints. Bought an ex with used Yokohama Geolanders and they were flat spotted and the compound seemed hard, but I don't know how long the truck sat for. I will never buy Wrangler RT/S again, feel too wobbly like they have no sidewall support and suck in the rain (hydroplane easy). Had Destination LE on a police ex and didn't care for them. Can't remember why specifically, I just remember LE=do not buy.

The Firestone Destination LE2 I had were either load rating of 105 or heavier. Definitely not an off-road tread design. Resembled more of an all-season tire. They handled the winter where I lived with no problems, but I don't have extreme winters of deep snow.

The LE2 will be on my list of possible tires for future purchase.

I've had a set of 1st Generation of the Revos on our Z71 and they were 265 65 or 75 17's (Can't remember the exact size as its been a long time). For my '99 Grand Cherokee I started out with a set of Dueller A/T's that obviously had been sitting on their shelf a long time as after 1 year and 5,000 miles all 4 were cracked & splitting on the sidewalls. Tires Plus warrantied them and upgraded me to the Revo 2's and just like before they were wonderful, hardly any noise, great traction even in a foot of snow and with rotating them every 5,000 they all wore evenly. I just sold that vehicle and the new owners thought they had just been put on. As I said I've been in the Firestone & Bridgestone plant and there is a difference in their quality of molds they use.

I will never buy Wrangler RT/S again, feel too wobbly like they have no sidewall support and suck in the rain (hydroplane easy).

Yeah, I won a set of RT/S in a lottery drawing and don't notice a wobble but do find the wet traction terrible now that they've aged and the compound hardened. Especially low treadwear rating (340) for the (low) traction they have too.

I suspect they are just Goodyear's answer to how to build a tire cheaply to win OEM supply contracts since they came factory on several vehicles.

My parents got the dismal Goodyear Wrangler RT/S from the Firestone recall. They rode terrible, and were mediocre in every weather condition.

Is the Wrangler RT/S the same as the Wrangler Radial? The WR was a pretty good AT/AS tire for me. Had 2 sets on my Ex. Also, a pretty big seller for G'Year. Not that those provisions make it a top notch tire, just a pretty good average performer.

^ No they are different, including the tread pattern, though it looks like Goodyear intended for the regular Wrangler to replace the RT/S because RT/S is no longer on their website. However the non-RT/S has an even worse 300 UTQG rating, but what it has going for it is low price.

The newer Wrangler doesn't look like it's going to be much good on wet pavement either due to no circumferential grooves.

Wrangler_Radial_Front_363.jpg

^ No they are different, including the tread pattern, though it looks like Goodyear intended for the regular Wrangler to replace the RT/S because RT/S is no longer on their website.

AFAIK, the "regular" Wrangler has been out since at least the early 90's. I had a friend who had them on a late 80's full size Chevy truck.

I though it had been out for a while too but not in the current tread pattern? Annoyingly they now have a half dozen different "Wranglers", most with some letters tacked on the end.

One thing I wonder is if they are even made in the same factories as their other tires because you'd think then they would use a similar if not same, longer wearing rubber compound.

Back