Busted Shock?

Lazzman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
How would I know if I had a shock that was not performing correctly? Late summer I replaced my front shocks with Edelbrock and my rears with KYB Monomax. Both pairs where purchased off ebay.

First off I recently heard it was bad to mix shock brands front to rear? Even so I was not really sure what the quality of the Edelbrocks where as they were bought on ebay for like $55 a piece.

To make a long story short the shocks worked great for the first three months but now I am getting a loose squirely feeling and a cloppy noise coming from the front. No fluid is leaking from the shock and everything is tight including the ball joints and tie rod ends. Also the front seems to be taking bumps pretty hard.

Any help or advice on failing shock symptoms would be helpful.

How did you check your tie rods??
I often thought mine were fine till I had someone wiggle the steering wheel back and forth while I was watching for movement, and found I had a ton of side to side slop in my ends.

Thanks, that is a helpful suggestion- tie rods are tough to pinpoint sometimes. Though a local tire shop check it last week, all was tight.

Back