Transmission output shaft bearing fell out? Help? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission output shaft bearing fell out? Help?

Chris-1997

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
So I hope I am not royally f*cked here. So about a month ago my transmission output shaft seal was leaking so I changed it and all was good. About 2 weeks later I was under my car and noticed a leak so sometime in that 2 week period it got worn out. I figured it was because I didn't put any grease when I slipped the flange back in so I bought another seal and got to work. As I was taking out the seal I noticed the the thing that sticks out, and the flange slides over (don't know the name) was moving up and down and when slightly turning it clockwise and counter clockwise there is a click sound but didnt think much about it and as I finally got the seal out the bearing popped out with it. I carefully popped the seal out and I am 100% sure I didn't pull it out on accident it kind of just fell out and I am afraid I am going to have to drop the whole transfer case or something to put it back in I am just not that experienced. So anyone know what to do also when driving at highway speeds and I let off the gas I hear a whine type of sound then with the slightest push of the pedal it goes away also when putting car in reverse while still cold it clunks hard was it the bearing the whole time? How do I get it back in. Also anyone know the approximate price of getting the whole transfer case replaced and getting a front driveshaft put in on a 97 mercury mountineer? Here are some photos.

IMG_0309.JPG

image.jpg

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG

If the bearing just fell out, most likely the seat is worn out. Clean the surface up real good and look for cracks.

Any vibration issues?

Back