Blinking O/D OFF light. How to diagnose with no codes | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blinking O/D OFF light. How to diagnose with no codes

HI,
they replaced the the whole valve body and the inside trans. wiring harness and so far no more problems.
GOOD LUCK.
SHERMAN

I've not heard of these replacements. Thanks. Good luck to you as well. I hope she lasts a long time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For now, as a preventive measure, I've ordered and plan on installing the AJ1 E Superior Solutions, LLC. Servo Kit which is only a $200 kit for both the intermediate and overdrive servos. This is supposed to "Fix" what FORD so badly designed and save thousands in rebuilt transmission parts and work.

But before I actually install this kit (which seems like it can only help to increase the life span of the poorly made FORD transmission) I'm hoping to read the transmission codes so that I find out what's currently failing when I do the install, and I can do everything at once.

I just re-read this and had thoughts: My OD is working just fine and not slipping. I was testing it when I first saw the light a day ago and pressing the OD button while driving and noticing that the RPMs are higher when OFF and lower when ON. Everything shifts just fine, so if the O/D OFF light is not an indication of failed OD bands, what is the next possible failure?

about a week ago my overdrive light started flashing again.
no affect on the driving at all.
in September of 2016 changed valve-body and solenoid pack and started shifting like new. that was from josh at central valve body.

august of 2017 flashing overdrive light swapped fluid and filter to no change so i didn't want to drop the pan again so took to a shop and the temperature sensor on solenoid pack was bad. should have just swapped it myself but didn't want to get all nasty once again.
fast forward to July of 2018 and one morning overdrive light flashes once again. happens about once every 3 to 4 starts. usually it stops before i even put t in drive r worst is 20 feet away and it goes out and wont come back on.
just did ,my brakes again yesterday and notices its wet and i have always had engine drip so not sure if its just the engine oil or maybe the transmission pan is dripping sensing low oil hence the light?

i was going to check the transmission oil but didn't have my adapter with me yesterday...

since changing the fluid will cost me $50.00 I just might buy a rebuilt solenoid pack to throw in it. I am guessing that will be it for the third time in as many years.
its my second vehicle that will sit for a week or two at a time. My mustang is the main one. I just want at least one more winter on my $1000.00 2002 Mountaineer...
now with just over 270000 miles.

so just ordered my 3rd solenoid pack that will be here Friday for my install on Saturday. One more winter with this and I will be happy for a $1000 dollar Mountaineer.
$90.00 for a rebuilt one seeing as how the last two were NEW and lasted less than a year before something went wrong. Last one was the temperture sensor and never affects driving but annoying to have the light blink for a few minutes. So $90.00 for the solenoid pack and $30.00 to $35.00 for fluid. maybe a filter also $20.00, well see...
maybe I can get to 300000 miles but i only drive it maybe 100 miles a month.

@Patrick Lao

Take the vehicle up to cruising speed under easy throttle on open flat road, at around 55 mph if you LIGHTLY increase gas pedal pressure and the engine speed as noted on the tachometer immediately increases, the TCC is not engaged as it should be.

imp

Okay so I've tested this and the tachometer does not immediately increase, so I guess this means the TCC is engaging. If that is so then the solenoid pack/block is good.

Also I have read the Transmission code and found a P0741 which I know is a TCC stuck but like I said, it appears to be engaging. Maybe it is starting to slightly slip and I don't know it?

What would be the next logical thing to look at? Wiring?

Okay so I've tested this and the tachometer does not immediately increase, so I guess this means the TCC is engaging. If that is so then the solenoid pack/block is good.

Also I have read the Transmission code and found a P0741 which I know is a TCC stuck but like I said, it appears to be engaging. Maybe it is starting to slightly slip and I don't know it?

What would be the next logical thing to look at? Wiring?
@Patrick Lao
  • P0741 FORD 61,436 Views
    Torque Converter Clutch Mechanical System
If the TCC slips after it is commanded to be engaged, the PCM detects that by comparing engine speed to transmission input shaft speed: they should be the same if TCC is OK. Slippage rarely happens due to solenoid trouble. Normally the solenoid works, or doesn't. The solenoid may NOT work due to either mechanical or electrical failure. If electrical failure is detected, usually that is pinpointed by the PCM code.

In your case, it's saying TCC Mechanical System, meaning the solenoid is probably OK, and the problem lies in the clutch itself, or the hydraulics energizing it, which are sent to the TCC by the valve body.

If you drive a manual transmission, you know that failure to disengage the clutch when coming to a standstill kills the engine. Same thing is true with a TCC if it FAILS to disengage. Therefore, if your engine continues to run with transmission in gear, any gear, the TCC is disengaged, as it's supposed to be, when the vehicle stands still.

You seem sure that the OD gear, 5th. gear, is operating properly. Are you aware that if the TCC never engages, you can continue driving that way as long as you like, using a couple of % more fuel? OTOH, if the TCC is partially engaging due to mechanical problems, it will in time generate debris which might wind up in the transmission. This is not too likely, though. Any material heavier than fine metal dust is thrown to the outside of the the inside of the converter housing when spinning, sinks to the bottom when it stops. Only very fine stuff finds it's way into the transmission. The converter has a continuous flow of oil into and out of it, to take away heat. I don't know where it's discharge lies; if it goes directly to the oil pan, the filter would trap it. imp

Going to be installed tomorrow morning...

15321136072391488105312.jpg

20180723_163802 (1).jpg
20180723_163802.jpg
Alright. Installed Saturday morning and omg it is back to shifting like brand new....
My 3rd one since owning the truck. But small price to pay for another year.

time to add another solenoid pack to the scrap pile.

Back