Headliner Removal | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headliner Removal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't think it would survive riveting.

What about lining it with metal tape? A couple of wide rolls should do it.

No idea what metal tape is?
I am looking to protect the headliner from dents from loading equipment in and out. I doubt aluminum tape will be strong enough

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you was just looking to beef up the backside, to firm it up. I guess it didn't register correctly with me, as you just paid to have it relined.

Your wanting to cover the side you see, like protecting the lower half of your homes front door, with a kick panel. Yeah... I got nothing.

Yes that is what i am trying to do. It should be thin to form to the curves of the headliner and is just to protect it from damage. Maybe it will flex enough where it will stay put, not sure as i haven’t bought the auminum sheet yet

Riveting or attaching a cover to the material side of the headliner will do more damage than you could ever do by loading / unloading. And, it will look like crap. Just be careful when you load / unload and it should last many years.

Ok cool thanks

I have an idea for some thin plastic, might be able to use the stock pushpins and the side moldings might hold it up there without attaching it to the headliner. Kind of like a cover

I also agree that riveting or attaching a cover is not feasible. Your stock headliner probably did not fall apart because of physical contact and abrasion, but rather because of age and deterioration of the material. An attached cover would be more effort than just getting another headliner and redoing it if it falls apart.

Maybe you could either be careful with your new headliner OR leave it out of the truck for now. If you are that concerned, you could redo a salvage headliner yourself, install, and then replace with your nice new headliner at some point in the future.

Here are some photos of my camo headliner project and “fancy” custom matching center console cover (hehe). The lighting is not that good, but the camo pattern itself hides wrinkles and everything else.

Good luck.

0BB3B462-4C87-4AF2-BF66-FFAD5EF2EE01.jpeg

2475B9DC-B3D4-4A58-94A4-940F7F14ADA5.jpeg

C4DA828A-F8FB-44F3-9F23-292A209D733F.jpeg

Wow that came out amazing!
I know that if I did mine myself it would have come out like crap, i’m Ok at some stuff, but fabric and glue is not something I have a lot of faith in, plus I would need a lot of room since it is just so large. Not optimal for first time headliner job haha.

I think you are right, The old fabric would just turn to dust if you scraped it even slightly. The new fabric is much better and will prob hold up to the occasional scrape from minibike handlebars. I have a 10” wheel bike with full suspension and it’s pretty tall. The bars are removable though so now I just loosen up one side enough to turn the bar enough to give me clearance. I only transport that bike a couple times a year so I should be fine.
My drag minibike is 7’ long and fits with the rear seats folded down, but the bars are short so that is not an issue.

Now I just have to get insurance co to replace the leaking quarter window, then I can put the headliner back in for hopefully the last time.

Well I finally was able to get the seal for the pass quarter window replaced. Leaked when it rained hard or went through car wash. The butyl tape was all dried out and gone.

So with that repaired, I was able to install the new headliner last night. Nice to finally have it installed, went in ok, except I can’t find the holes to mount the handles above the doors.
Does anyone have a good pic of their location?
Thanks!

My "grab" handles in "Flo" my '97 is currently unfastened. It would be 4:30 p.m. before I could measure for you, bit I will be glad to if you don't get the info before then. I would think that the 1997s would have the holes in the same place. Is it all 3 handle spots that you need to know the locations?

Yes, all 3
A picture might help a lot, I can try poking around too just need a ballpark.
Thanks for the soeedy response!

The clips are still there behind the headliner. I should have marked where the holes were before installing headliner but forgot

Well getting the handles in was a pain, mostly because one of the clips came dislodged from the bracket, thanks gman for that heads up. Removed a pillar trim and was able to slide the clip back into position with a coathanger and small flashlight.

Was able to finally take the truck to the car wash for the first time in a couple years with zero water getting in through the window seal.
Felt great

Also the truck is a little quieter with new seal and headliner.
Now I have to work on some sun visors, drivers side is ripped looks like crap.

Forgive me for not getting back to you. I'm glad that you got it. If someone did the same thing and didn't poke through the old holes from the backside of the headliner board could they remove the trim holding the board up and look behind it at the clips to figure out where to put the holes for the handles?

Forgive me for not getting back to you. I'm glad that you got it. If someone did the same thing and didn't poke through the old holes from the backside of the headliner board could they remove the trim holding the board up and look behind it at the clips to figure out where to put the holes for the handles?

Yes Sir
That is exactly what I did. It’s tight but still doable. Def easier on the front doors than the rears

Just to add-

I was able to remove the drivers rear quarter panel window to replace the seal, as it was leaking when it rained real hard, or went through the car wash. The water was making the rug damp in the cargo area of the truck if parked outside.
I wanted to do this job while the headliner was out since I had to remove the trim pieces anyways for that.
I have a glass guy that I can pay cash so he came by with a roll of the sealer stuff and we popped the window out and resealed it.

In this pic you can see that the upper part of the seal was not sealing to the body of the truck. It was all dried out and crumbly.

2xUZOx.jpg

With the new seal, the leak stopped and I was able to get the headliner back in with no worries about water damage.

Every one of my 6 explorers leak some on the side glasses, some more than the others except the one side glass that I recently replaced.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great work on the successful window seals!

Sometimes work on these trucks is like peeling an onion... one thing just leads to another thing.

Well done.

Back