• Register Today It's free!

93 ex dome light connections ??

Watchman

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport-4WD
I replaced the headliner in my 93 Ex Sport this past week. After installing the headliner I tried to put the dome light assembly back up and I am at a loss at how to make the elec connection ?? When I removed the headliner initially, I noticed the dome light metal plate was bent down (I pulled on it by mistake) , so I carefully removed the elec harness attached to it. When re-assembling I must have moved something. I can't tell how this harness attaches to the dome light.

Please help - the headliner is in and I don't want to remove it. Any suggestions or pictures would help - Thanks

I have my headiner off right now, I took couple of pics.. Two of the screws have to go through a wire end connector is how the wire connects to the light.

Attachments

• DSCN2522.jpg
    DSCN2522.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN2521.jpg
    DSCN2521.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 134

Thanks VQ - I finally saw how they had to attach. These pictures you have taken are key for anybody replacing their headliner. You see, When I first tried to remove the dome light, I thought it required just pulling down from the headliner. Then I noticed the screws that actually held it up. Well, in pulling down, I bent one end of the metal bracket away from the adhesive surface on the roof (at opposite end of your 2nd picture). So, when I took off the headliner, I removed the bracket, and in doing so, undid the harness connections (#1 and #2 in your 2nd picture) from the bracket. I then reformed the bracket in my vice. Then it hit me that these wires (#1 and #2 ) were not ordinary connections and was at a loss on re-doing the connections.

By the way - if you are replacing the headliner material - be careful of the type of material you buy - I bought mine at Joann Fabrics and even though it is listed as auto headliner material - the foam is too thick. Buy a decent material that is more "pliable" to the surface geometry of your headliner. Another thing - buy 2 cans of spray adhesive - I bought the professional material at Joann Fabrics and then had to go to a local auto parts store and purchase 3M headliner spray. The 1st can was only enough for about 2/3 of the headliner surface. Another important step - get an assistant to help you carefully fold over each half of the material to the headliner surface - the You Tube videos show these professionals doing it themselves - but I think they surely had issues their first few times by themselves. Practice laying out each half before applying the spray so you have in your mind and coordination how this material is going to lay to the surface. Believe me - it isn't as simple as just spraying each half and flipping the material on the surfaces. Take your time and spray both the material AND headliner.

I ended up with some areas where the material isn't touching the headliner surface due to the material thickness - but I have good adhesion overall. It didn't come out 100%, but looks much better than the old material with holes.

Hope this helps anybody on their headliner replacement.

Yes on the 2nd pic there should be a adhesive foam piece between the bracket and the roof to prevent it from rattling. I hadn't put mine back in yet cause I haven't put the liner back on yet. I might leave my liner off I kinda like this look now that its off. I took my liner off cause I am making a custom sliding shelf that hangs from the roof.

Back