Leaky sunroof repair help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaky sunroof repair help

Reaction score
City, State
Walla Walla, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
I have a 1994 Explorer with a leaky sunroof. I just put a new seal in it today and got it reinstalled. It turned out really good. However, I have a problem I need some advice about...

When I removed the headliner I noticed it was wet from the front clear to the back. Now the front part of it was wet due to the leaky sunroof. However, the back half of it was wet from condensation that was built up on the roof. When I removed the headliner, I could see massive amounts of condensation from the back all the way up to the sunroof.

Here's my question....Is there some sort of insulation or anything I can install on the roof between the headliner and the roof to help prevent the condensation buildup? All this condensation is soaking into the cardboard headliner and it's damaging it.

Any ideas or advise on what I can use to prevent the condensation? Thanks for the help guys...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only thing I can say is most leaky sunroofs are caused by clogged drains in the gutter. There's some threads around on it, I would make sure to get those cleaned out also. As for stopping condensation, not a clue.

Condensation is a regional thing, some places are worse than others. I have it pretty bad in Alaska. I pulled all my interior trim and panels and lined the inside with foil bubble insulation to help retain heat. It may help your issue, but ultimately condensation is a routine thing in some states given the weather.

Only thing I can say is most leaky sunroofs are caused by clogged drains in the gutter. There's some threads around on it, I would make sure to get those cleaned out also. As for stopping condensation, not a clue.
I took the air compressor and blew out all four drain tubes. Consequently, they weren't clogged, but at least I have peace of mind that I eliminated that as a possible problem. It was leaking in two different places around the seal. But that problem is solved now. I'm more concerned about how to deal with the condensation problem. I don't want it to destroy my headliner...

Condensation is a regional thing, some places are worse than others. I have it pretty bad in Alaska. I pulled all my interior trim and panels and lined the inside with foil bubble insulation to help retain heat. It may help your issue, but ultimately condensation is a routine thing in some states given the weather.
I live in Eastern Washington so the cold weather creates a lot of condensation. I'm really worried about it destroying the headliner.

I was thinking about using that foil bubble wrap you mentioned. I used it on my 67 Cougar when I installed a new headliner, but I have no idea how well it works for preventing condensation or how well it insulates. Did you pull the interior trim back off and inspect it after you installed the foil bubble wrap? Did it prevent the condensation? How well did it work?

I was also thinking of sticking some of that Hush Mat stuff to the roof also, but I don't think that will help with insulation, but rather help with sound deadening. Who knows.

Thanks for the advise....

Yes, I pulled all my panels and replaced it with the foil bubble foil. I used contact cement and it's stuck on pretty good. It made a noticeable difference in the hot summer and cold winter but I can't say anything about condensation. That's a tough one. I will say that having the leaks fixed and the tubes unplugged will keep the moisture levels lower which will help control the condensation. You won't prevent all of it but will knock it down some.

Yes, I pulled all my panels and replaced it with the foil bubble foil. I used contact cement and it's stuck on pretty good. It made a noticeable difference in the hot summer and cold winter but I can't say anything about condensation. That's a tough one. I will say that having the leaks fixed and the tubes unplugged will keep the moisture levels lower which will help control the condensation. You won't prevent all of it but will knock it down some.
Picked up a roll of foil bubble insulation tonight. Need to get some contact cement then will install hopefully sometime this week. I've got fans blowing on the headliner to dry it out. Going to reinforce some weak spots on the back side of the headliner with some tape or ???? Then the headliner goes back in and I'll be done with this project. I resealed the sunroof and it turned out real good!

I live in southeast Alaska and I understand your frustration. Not sure if the wet weather or high humidity makes things worse than drier colder weather but my solution was inexpensive and worked well for me. I'm sure there is a "proper" way to handle your issue but it's easy to correct in the long term. Just make sure the metal is clean and not too cold as it'll hamper the cement from tacking well.

Let us know how it works for you. Sometimes for our old rigs these solutions are just fine. My rig will never be a show piece but as long as it runs well and does as it should who cares?!

Back