Blind Spot and Cross Traffic System Faults | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blind Spot and Cross Traffic System Faults

Carbon87

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
Ever since I've had my Explorer, every so often I get a Christmas Tree of lights when I start it, saying everything is broke, like auto start/stop, reverse sensors, etc. So far, shutting the truck off and restarting it fixes it.

Until today. Now, no matter what, my Blind Spot and Cross Traffic systems have failed. No amount of shutting off or waiting it out works. Anyone else have issues with this particular system? I'm sure it'll result in a trip to the dealer, but I'm beginning to feel like I might need to pay rent there I've been in so much. Another trip was not on my list of things I wanted to do...

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 5.40.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 5.40.59 PM.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ever since I've had my Explorer, every so often I get a Christmas Tree of lights when I start it, saying everything is broke, like auto start/stop, reverse sensors, etc. So far, shutting the truck off and restarting it fixes it.

Until today. Now, no matter what, my Blind Spot and Cross Traffic systems have failed. No amount of shutting off or waiting it out works. Anyone else have issues with this particular system? I'm sure it'll result in a trip to the dealer, but I'm beginning to feel like I might need to pay rent there I've been in so much. Another trip was not on my list of things I wanted to do...

View attachment 178503

View attachment 178504
Have you had your battery checked?
I have a neighbor that had the same situation as yours it ended up being the battery was strong enough to start the vehicle but low enough to start making those lights appear on the dash. they replaced his battery and he hasn't had any problems since

hope yours is a simple fix.
and make damn sure the guy that's been doing your front end alignment stays away from your vehicle.

As mentioned by RickyG, have your battery checked. There are a few similar posts in the 5th gen forum about the dash lighting up like a Christmas tree and the issue was a bad/weak battery. In any case, take it to the dealer and have them check out this issue and please report back. Thanks.

Peter

Same issue here.. it started with the check rear parking sensor/aid.. and has been getting progressively worse. Will have it addressed when it goes back in for the mirror swap and other repairs (waiting on parts). I do not believe this is a battery issue.

Screenshot_20200219-173324_FordPass.jpg

I'm still getting the alerts while it is in my garage off. Just got another and it has been in the garage for 3 hours untouched.

Same issue here.. it started with the check rear parking sensor/aid.. and has been getting progressively worse. Will have it addressed when it goes back in for the mirror swap and other repairs (waiting on parts). I do not believe this is a battery issue.

View attachment 178527
Has anyone gotten this diagnosed and found the solution? I have the same issue and have been to 2 dealers and they’ve collectively spent 22hrs “diagnosing” the problem.
I’d be grateful to hear more from your experiences.
Thanks

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Has anyone gotten this diagnosed and found the solution? I have the same issue and have been to 2 dealers and they’ve collectively spent 22hrs “diagnosing” the problem.
I’d be grateful to hear more from your experiences.
Thanks

Looking at my history, the last two times it happened was once on 4/16 and once on 2/22. I've had this happen in big rain storms while driving where it can't make out anything in front which I'd say would be normal. Last time it was in which was about 6 weeks ago, they did several software updates that came out after mine was produced and so far haven't had any issues with any of the complaints I made.

Has anyone found a solution? My windshield got a crack in it on the bottom by the electronics at the same time I got these two faults. I had the windshield replaced and calibrated but the faults are still present. Battery was checked out OKAY by the dealer.

Has anyone found a solution? My windshield got a crack in it on the bottom by the electronics at the same time I got these two faults. I had the windshield replaced and calibrated but the faults are still present. Battery was checked out OKAY by the dealer.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The cracked windshield should have no bearing on the issue. Is the sensor location clean?

Peter

I have had similar issues in the rain, cross traffic, blind spot warning lights along with climate control screen buttons not light up or active, ie front heated seats not working either and then while driving would get a navigation error and then front windows did not open, continued driving then windows would work and then not work again. These issues have not returned in a few weeks and my battery is maybe 1 year or 2 old but still may have then check it. Could it be a fuse as I assume these systems are tied together somewhere somehow. I have extended warranty so just hoping to point someone in one direction.

Welcome to the Forum Warren. :wave:
Anything tied into a fuse wouldn't work intermittently. It would either work or not work.
Good luck.

Peter

I have similar issue (at dealer now and they are trying to figure it out). When I Start the car after it sitting for a few hours, the HVAC, heated/cooled seats, mirrors, front windows, drivers seat adjustments and trunk do not work and getting Cross Traffic Fault, Blind Spot System Fault. I can drive the car for anywhere from 5 min to 10/15 minutes and everything turns back on (scary to have your seat adjust while driving). It has made for some cold drives without heat.

I thought it was the battery also, but have had it tested 3 times over the past 4 months (since it started) and every time it passed. Its now at Ford getting looked at and of course they cannot duplicate the issue (but I took a video last time to prove the problem). Unfortunately its out of warranty, so who knows what this will cost. Only thing I see online is people talk about water getting into their tail lights and causing corrosion on the connections. Per Ford, the only thing they see is some "network" error for the Cross Traffic/Blind Spot so they are tracking those wires/connections down. They are looking for corrosion, but so far no luck. Its also weird they have not been able to duplicate it, when it was happening to me daily before I dropped it off, but that's why I shot a video, to prove its happening.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Back