Can this '95 Explorer make it across the country? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can this '95 Explorer make it across the country?

exploringutah

Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
Hi there,

Need some advice. We have a 1995 Ford Explorer with 140,000 miles. Its transmission and motor were both replaced around 10,000 miles ago, and it's been fairly well-maintained (although the AC is busted). I do have to kind of floor it to get it up to speed on the freeway, but I've alway attributed that to its size/age. Would you let your child drive it 2,800 miles cross-country or would you be worried?

I'm going to take it to a dealer and have a mechanic do a detailed inspection—are there any particular problems you'd suggest I ask them to check with this kind of car?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check all fluids, if everything in engine is 10000 miles old, i don't see why not.

Edit: i change oil every 3000 miles :)

^^^^^ what he said
Don't forget the rear diff top up

These vehicles are pretty durable. My son headed off to Anchorage from Mpls (3500 miles) in his '96 Explorer OHV with slightly less mileage on original engine/tranny after I did some preventative maintenance work on it. There is a lot of open country on that trip and it made me very nervous at the thought of him getting stranded in the middle of nowhere. The truck did just fine, though. In fact, he made the return trip home later, another round trip and finally one more trip back to Anchorage. Aside from recommendations to have it thoroughly inspected, my advice is to tell your child to not beat the thing to death enroute. In other words, resist the temptation to keep pace with those who routinely drive 10-15 mph over the speed limit. It's not a new vehicle anymore and needs to be treated as such IMO.

I know of a 95 Eddie bauer with 380K miles on it still going strong, one Jasper reman 4r55e transmission is all it has ever needed.........

95 Explorers are TOUGH AS NAILS
keep it cool and it will go around the earth more then once

I’d take mine tomorrow @ 309k.

Odd that you need to floor it, though. My SOHC accelerates smoothly to highway speed at part throttle. No CEL? Your throttle cable may be stretched out.

682,00 miles on my 4.0 SOHC and I would trust it anywhere. Still going strong. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

I feel like there is too little info. My questions are:

1) Major things replaced 10K mi ago but with what? If you bought a brand new engine and tranny for this, I'd think you're insane, so the question is how new, if junkyard can you trust their mileage claim, and if rebuilt, how good was that, which can vary.

2) What's up with yours having an engine and tranny needing replaced so early in mileage? Are you cursed?

3) No, I would never send a child off on a journey more than 200 mi if the A/C wasn't working.

4) It depends on the child. Some kids, can't handle any issue. Some can just about forge their own way, and the middle ground is, whether the child can handle a breakdown and get it fixed without being taken advantage of or being unsafe if stranded (applies more to attractive women but in some areas, any stranded motorist is disadvantaged).

5) Financial situation. A lot of things people would do (given infinite money) are not practical in the real world for average people.

6) Purpose. Is this a joyride to visit friends, or starting a new life where there's not just the vehicle on a good day but also 100's of lbs of cargo being hauled?

7) I'd be worried. That's a parent's job. That doesn't mean I think things are likely to go wrong but the odds of that are worse than with a newer vehicle, no 3rd party repairs, lower miles, etc.

The real question is about doing the best you can. If you can insure a safer trip, do that. If this is on the child to forge their life and take that on themselves, so it happens, children have to take that leap. Make sure there's a cash buffer in case any problem arise. This has nothing to do with Explorers, but rather the situation with any vehicle this age. The small % of problems is magnified by the hassle fixing them at a remote location, so again it depends on the resourcefullness of the child in question.

Oddly enough, my SOHC and 5R55E both started showing problems (death rattle on the engine, torque converter and broken band in the trans) at 125-130k...and from what I’ve gathered over the years, that isn’t at all that uncommon.

The OHV in the 95 is a strong little reliable engine, as long as it has been serviced regularly.

If not, or unknown, and to help you with YOUR specific vehicle, here is a few known issues that can, and do happen....

A number of things could be the cause of poor acceleration.

Ask the technician inspecting it to check the compression in all cylinders. Low numbers would tell you the larger story on its overall health. If too low, don't use it for the trip. It's not worth the risk.

The coil packs do weaken with age, and if they are old, might be giving a weak spark.

Clogged or dirty fuel injectors will result in poor or weak running order.

Larger tires than stock, and the stock gear ratios will cause poor acceleration , and if the speedometer gear wasn't changed for them, the trans will shift wrong.

If it ever overheated badly in its lifetime, that would be of concern. Engine heads can suffer from this.

The transfer case in the 95 is a weak unit, and only gets worse with age and heat cycles, as it is an electric clutch type. This would be my biggest concern with being broke down. Easy to replace at home, easy enough to find a used one at home, but on the road, stuck in unknown territory, is a whole different ballgame.

Front ball joints, CV axles, tie rods, and hub bearing units, should all be inspected properly. Don't hesitate to replace any of these, if suspected of wear.

Check all caliper mounting bolts. These have been known to loosen up, causing a caliper to come off. Sometimes they don't get the proper torque needed when replaced. Check the soft brake hoses, replace if very soft or show any cracking, or bulging when brake is applied.

Check the idler tension pulleys. Of these go bad, the serpentine belt comes off, and your stuck.

Flush the engine coolant, and inspect radiator hoses. Check the heater core hoses, and the plastic valve at the firewall in the engine compartment. Replace the thermostat for safety sake. These go bad all the time, and will cause an overheat issue if it does.

Pack fuses, fluids for trans, and engine.

Check leaf spring hangers for cracks or rust. Replace if anything like that found.

Fix the ac if possible, if not pack plenty of water and have a cooler with ice, for the trip.

That's about all I can think of that hasn't been mentioned, and a good tech won't have an issue with any of that when inspecting.

Good luck!

wait wait wait 682,000 miles now???????????????????????????????
HOLY CRAP BALLS
Everytime I read about your sohc engine I go through this same thing. Here comes 3/4 of a million miles on a SOHC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ford should give you a new Bronco

The 1994 Ford Explorer has traveled thousands of kilometre along the terrible roads of Russia. He is alive and well. Despite the fact that spare parts are difficult to buy in any store. It's a solid and simple vehicle.

Attachments

• IMG_20190212_154600 — копия.jpg
    IMG_20190212_154600 — копия.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 91

My 95 is closing on in 200k miles and I wouldnt hesitate at all. Have driven it multiple times cross country.

Hi there,

Need some advice. We have a 1995 Ford Explorer with 140,000 miles. Its transmission and motor were both replaced around 10,000 miles ago, and it's been fairly well-maintained (although the AC is busted). I do have to kind of floor it to get it up to speed on the freeway, but I've alway attributed that to its size/age. Would you let your child drive it 2,800 miles cross-country or would you be worried?

I'm going to take it to a dealer and have a mechanic do a detailed inspection—are there any particular problems you'd suggest I ask them to check with this kind of car?

OHV explorers and being 95-96 makes it very reliable. Could things go wrong? Yeah, the alternator could go, the fuel pump, etc. But overall with the way I maintain my truck I would drive cross country with it. I think earlier explorers were built very tough, likely to create a reputation, but as time went on they tried to pinch pennies.

That being said, you really don't know with ANY vehicle. I mean, I rented a Grand-Am in the 90s. It had 10 miles on it when I took it from Avis. 80 miles later, on some highway, it lost power steering. I guess the guys in the GM factory wanted to go home early that Friday and forgot to tighten the PS fitting. I was able to drive in the right lane with little need for steering. Lucky that the convenience store off the exit had trans fluid. Lucky I could find some hardware store with a cheap wrench. The 800 number told me 2-3 hours to bring another car. I was back on the road in 15 min.

I read stories with brand new vehicles (in 2020) not starting or stalling for some reason. Then its towed to the dealer and they update software or reseat some harness. So, FWIW, you get the idea.

Hi there,

It’s been more than half way to the moon already, another 2,800 miles ain’t gonna kill it. Could something go wrong? Yes. I’ve seen new cars break down. It’s an Explorer....just run it.

Thanks everyone! Taking it to the dealership to be inspected tomorrow, and will be asking them specifically about some of the points you all brought up. Really appreciate your explorer expertise.

exploringutah:

The only thing you mentioned that bothers me is the "need to floor it to get up to highway speed". Either you simply have a lead foot or there is an issue for concern there. It is after all a heavy 160hp midsized truck, not a sports car.

Check the ball joints, control arm bushings, basically all of the suspension. Also, I've heard that AC fixes can be as simple as replacing the actuator switch (I need to try this but have been to lazy, maybe because I've been so hot all the time driving). If the brakes are good, the tires are good, the engine & tranny are new, the battery is ok, and the suspension is ok, get them AAA + RV (longer free tow radius) and send them off!

Unresolved engine issues, mostly vintage status parts in the truck and an lesser experienced driver listening to pop music instead of the car is not a recipe for dessert.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You've gotten some great advice from the peeps. My two cents, with 10k on the drive train, you should have nothing to worry about. It's not even broken in yet. I have 326k miles on my '91! I finally updated the front and rear springs about 60k miles ago so it almost drove like a brand new car again. Ball joints are good, wheel bearings good, just needs new control arm and sway bar bushings to feel complete. At 140k miles on yours, it's time to update the suspension.

That being said, I have replaced her with a '96 with an OHV motor with 162k miles on everything. I am retiring and selling the '91 only because she has rust in the dog leg panels and welding is one thing I don't know how to do and I don't have the time or facilities. So last year, I found a fully loaded XLT and bought it for $1800+tax. The lot originally tried to sell for $4500. But I took it over to 3 of my mechanic buddies for a look over. After spending about $1000 to completely renew the suspension, replace the bad gasket in the timing cover along with a new timing chain set, change all fluids (haven't gotten to the front or rear diff's yet but did change the transfer case fluid), upgraded brake pads, cleaned out the EGR, cleaned but eventually replaced the IACV, all new coolant hoses, thermostat, new clutch fan and belt, new plugs/wires/coil pack, full alignment, she drives like a brand new car. No lifter clatter on this motor, at least as of yet. The '91 has sounded a bit like a diesel motor for over 20 years! After all that time, I only went through a quart of oil about every 3000 or so miles!

This week, I finally swapped from the '91, the 2.25" cat back and put on a Flowmaster series 40 Dynaflow muffler. You'll notice an improved performance, better throttle response. The stock 2" pipe and muffler is restrictive and makes it run like a turtle. Caution though, it's not plug and play like I hoped. The length of exhaust on the '91 is about 4 to 6" longer than the '96. I haven't taken a hard look yet to see if the length is at the intermediate pipe or pipe between the muffler and resonator of a little of both. One of my mechanic buddies is going to cut and weld and extension for me so I can put the stock pipe from the '96 onto the '91. The exhaust hangers look to still be in the right place. The other difference but it works, on the '91 - '94 exhaust tail pipe, it curves to the right exiting under the right side of the bumper. '95-'01 is straight. So if you want a few horses/torque and better engine efficiency, go with a larger cat back. I think, given the motor specs, you can get away with up to 2.5" but it may be harder to find. Don't go up to 3" with this motor.

The other thing to check, take off the air intake so you can see the throttle body butterfly valve. Either put something heavy on the gas pedal or have someone press it to the floor. If the valve isn't opening to almost horizontal, you have a stretched out accelerator cable. There's a quick cheap fix using zip ties. I can't remember if I saw it on Youtube of here in the forum. I think it was here in the forum. Or, just get a new cable. I discovered, my rubber floor mats were a bit too high and impeding the gas pedal to the floor!!! I cut part of if away and voila, my Explorer felt like a little road runner again! She's doing 0-60 mph in just over 10 seconds which is about a second faster than factory spec. Oh, also clean the throttle body. In your case with 10k miles, do it in another 5k to 10k.

Now that you have a new tranny, take care of it. Even though these trannys are "weak", all trannys are like that. Why, mainly because of lack of fluid maintenance. Everyone will change their oil about 3000 miles but no one talks about the tranny fluid. By the time people do some maintenance and it's too late. Change out, don't flush, the fluid and filter about every 35,000 miles. More if you drive in hot weather and/or a lot of towing. Use the right fluid, should be the old Mercon III to Mercon V. You might see it as a Dexron/Mercon mix. Don't use LV. Get a tranny cooler (tow package) and that will help a lot and extend/maintain the fluid. I have a larger than stock on mine. Generally, tranny fluid is a very viscous solvent. As it gets older and breaks down, like motor oil, loses its qualities. There's also a lot of friction material from the clutch pack floating around. When you change fluid/filter, you'll lose that material. That is what starts to make the tranny go bad with the loss of friction material and more sluffs off. If you flush the tranny, what fluid left in the torque convertor that has friction material will also be gone. It's actually ok to mix the new fluid with what's in the torque convertor. Remember I mentioned that tranny fluid is a solvent? The new fluid is "stronger" so a flush can blow out the seals. In conjunction with this, add a back flush kit onto the inlet hose of the heater core. Flush out your cooling system at least every 2 years. This also allows you to check the hoses.

Ok, I hope this helps. Shaka!

Hi there,

Back