Repair / restoration of center console | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Repair / restoration of center console

EB4X

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orange county, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer 4X 4.0 ohv
No biggie but thought I'd post this for anyone interested...
I'll let pics do the talking for most part -- pointers >> For those like me who have gaps / dips worn down into foam - I filled in with "Great stuff" filler with about 1/2" going above surface--shrouded with paper towel from getting all over (this stuff is made to really expand) ....let sit for about 3 minutes to slightly solidify then with contoured carboard piece scraped flush across top surface which cleanly swiped off excess but left filled in hole totally in tact. As the filler begin to dry / cure some more I noticed it was sunk down/ receded a hair... not wanting to mess up my progress by adding more filler which was overkill for tiny shrinkage I actually put a layer of fine sand on top - contoured that smooth / mesh with surface and covered everything / finished repair area with wide strip of masking tape ---unbolted hinge / unit from vehicle then brought over to flat work area --- where with some super sticky duct tape pulled over edges snugly into place....then before duct tape came undone slapped plastic backplate over and screwed everything in place. Down the road I'll swing by some "reasonable" upholstery shop and have them staple it extra snug with special staples / staple gun that will go into plastic underside like OEM ones are (went by some local shops with arm rest in hand ready to go and they wanted to charge me serious money to throw a few staples in place with me assisting !!)
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5574912417&icep_item=302590245318

before.jpg

mid.jpg

mid 2.jpg

after.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Side note....to be able to use the rest of the G.S. sealer later on I recommend cutting off the ANGLED part of tip so you can easily / thoroughly clear out nozzle with drill bit / nail etc when done using.... I've sprayed carb cleaner etc after use before and there's always some thick residue that remains making the can unusable. Unless you happen to have some skinny long pipe cleaners..etc...

foam_spray_x.jpg

It's been a while since I did mine, but from what I recall, the larger part of the work I did was adding wire and epoxy to reinforce the plastic in the lid, but the rest was nothing fancy. I mean you could just take a piece of carpet padding or whatever to replace the original foam, get a nice piece of leather (and wet it to stretch while applying, or vinyl and heat gently to stretch while applying, stretching it so it has no wrinkles when you're done) and make it slightly oversized so when it shrinks it does not pull out of the bottom plastic wall.

If it is coming out without staples, you can get a staple gun and short staples to DIY.

If it is coming out without staples, you can get a staple gun and short staples to DIY.
I have an Arrow T25 staple gun..didn't fly...they partially went in but easily popped out of plastic, ....the staples are just too thick and not enough impact to go all the way in plastic....the staples/ gun used on OEM is specific type for an application like this / upholstery stapler.
On side note, I like the stitched look better than oem.... classier looking..imo

If staple gun doesn’t work, short self-tapping screws will work. Install using drill and Phillips head bit. Might want to predrill with a slightly smaller drill bit.

The stitching work does look nice.

Good luck.

Maybe a hammer and punch to drive them the rest of the way in? I don't recall having a problem getting my vinyl cover to stay tucked in after I restretched it. I mean, its still in place... did not have to get an upholsterer to staple it. Maybe it's the stretching factor, that it ends up conforming to the right shape instead of the foam working against it.

My plastic was shot, so brittle it would fall apart trying to work the fabric off and back on. I had some 1/8" fiber board laying around and cut a full piece then a 2nd in the shape of a U to sort of simulate the raised section of the plastic. Glued then on top of each other and wrapped new foam and leather. It's held up pretty darn good.

Back