Well that didn't take long! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Well that didn't take long!

Time to invest in a dash cam lol. Just finished putting a new one in our Explorer. Procrastinated for the past year on doing it and finally did it last week.

Sorry to hear about it Rick!!

We have a forward facing dash cam. No recording from the rear though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good thing you had the tow package. That saved your car from a lot of damage. I was at a stop light and I got hit by a CRV who got hit by a Lexus. Poor CRV was bashed in from both sides. I had a 2017 Explorer and no tow package. From being bumped it cost over $8k in damages. My Explorer was in the shop for over a month. I called the police and they told me to get the insurance information from each other as we had an active shooter incident going on at the same exact time and they were all focussed on that. Anyway moral of the story when I got my 20 Explorer I got the tow package. It will mess up whoever hits me but the hitch will absorb all the damage.

I had an accident a month ago involved a police officer "in pursuit" on a one lane road he totally ran me off the road I WISH I used a dash cam it was either hit him or a tree down in the road I was so mad I even pulled over and told the officer you were HAULING a55 young guy probably 20 he almost cried...
20201119_110410.jpg

No big deal but I can't fix that scratch and dent right. I wouldn't even try but gm vehicles frames bend like playdough that's what I'm dealing with.
20201119_111124.jpg

Ripped off the sideskirs. Lots of broken stuff lol some gm vehicles are trash anyways...live and learn thanks for reminding me about the dash cam.

I had an accident a month ago involved a police officer "in pursuit" on a one lane road he totally ran me off the road I WISH I used a dash cam it was either hit him or a tree down in the road I was so mad I even pulled over and told the officer you were HAULING a55 young guy probably 20 he almost cried...
View attachment 325589

No big deal but I can't fix that scratch and dent right. I wouldn't even try but gm vehicles frames bend like playdough that's what I'm dealing with.
View attachment 325590
Ripped off the sideskirs. Lots of broken stuff lol some gm vehicles are trash anyways...live and learn thanks for reminding me about the dash cam.

Wow

View attachment 325589

View attachment 325590

Dang, sorry to see that.

Wow really that freaking sucks. This is why its hard to have nice things these days. Im glad yall are ok.

Wow really that freaking sucks. This is why its hard to have nice things these days. Im glad yall are ok.

The good news is that damage is non-existent. I was able to remove the scuff on the white paint with glazing compound, and the paint that he transfered to our trailer hitch I painted over with a black rattle can. I checked under the rig while it was on my lift and couldn't find any signs of damage at all. The Explorer did a great job.

Time to invest in a dash cam lol. Just finished putting a new one in our Explorer. Procrastinated for the past year on doing it and finally did it last week.

Sorry to hear about it Rick!!
I have a Garmin 66w. I bought it for the ease of taking between the work van and the Explorer.
What ever you end up with, any dash cam is better than no dash cam.

Good to hear there is no damage. That seems so unlikely with a modern vehicle of any make. The hitch probably did save it. Either way, you lucked out. Even if insurance covers the repair, the newness just doesn't seem the same after an episode such as this.

Funny story about a new vehicle. A local farmer bought a new GMC pickup. All the hands, were standing around it one morning talking about how pretty it was and how it's a shame to get dirty and so on. The farmer, annoyed with his help swooning over the truck, took the matter into his own hands. He grabbed a chain and beat the bedside from front to back. "There!" He said. "I put the first scratch in it, now use the damn truck!" I believe that was the second day of ownership. He got it over with quickly!

Someone left a note on the Infinity's windshield last month that a woman intentionally rammed a Costco shopping cart into the front, who then got into a silver Prius. I found a small crease type dent in the plastic nose cone. You know how hard you have to hit that to put a permanent crease? Hard. They left a license plate number but no contact information. I was going to call the insurance and file a claim, but its just not worth the little mark that only I can see.

I always get a kick out of the “well, you slammed on your brakes“ remarks; if they had been following at a safe distance, and paying attention, it would not matter if you slammed on your brakes, they would have plenty of time to stop.
I run a dual camera in my Explore, with a front and a rear cam. In my E250, I only have a front cam, but it is having a lot of issues so I will be replacing it soon with dual cameras.

Funny story about a new vehicle. A local farmer bought a new GMC pickup. All the hands, were standing around it one morning talking about how pretty it was and how it's a shame to get dirty and so on. The farmer, annoyed with his help swooning over the truck, took the matter into his own hands. He grabbed a chain and beat the bedside from front to back. "There!" He said. "I put the first scratch in it, now use the damn truck!" I believe that was the second day of ownership. He got it over with quickly!
Purposely got my Trac's running board hung up on a stump the first week. If you blow up my picture you can notice it.
"Hey!, you scratched my trailer hitch!"
That comes from an incident 30 some years ago. Was going back to work in my 72 LTD 2 door and got rear ended. The trailer ball totally kept the bumper protected. The lady's Honda was spewing coolant. Out came my smart as* remark, got back in and drove off. Can't be late for work!

The remarks people have made about the other vehicle that hit Rick are way too funny!

Purposely got my Trac's running board hung up on a stump the first week. If you blow up my picture you can notice it.

That comes from an incident 30 some years ago. Was going back to work in my 72 LTD 2 door and got rear ended. The trailer ball totally kept the bumper protected. The lady's Honda was spewing coolant. Out came my smart as* remark, got back in and drove off. Can't be late for work!

The remarks people have made about the other vehicle that hit Rick are way too funny!
Hey Sandsprayer, I've got a 1972 LTD convertible sitting in my garage right now. :)

Hey Sandsprayer, I've got a 1972 LTD convertible sitting in my garage right now. :)
DANG!
Love to see a pic if you can send me one. Mine was actually( sorry @Mr. Alligator, he hates that word) a 71--fat fingers- hand down from my Great Aunt. Just got to be too much car for her. Had maintained it for15 years, only 36,000 miles on it. Every time I did work or washed it for her had to mash the pedal to blow it out and clean the plugs. It was beautiful. I'm an idiot!

The good news is that damage is non-existent. I was able to remove the scuff on the white paint with glazing compound, and the paint that he transfered to our trailer hitch I painted over with a black rattle can. I checked under the rig while it was on my lift and couldn't find any signs of damage at all. The Explorer did a great job.
Sounds like $1700 in labor you could bill him for.

Someone left a note on the Infinity's windshield last month that a woman intentionally rammed a Costco shopping cart into the front, who then got into a silver Prius. I found a small crease type dent in the plastic nose cone. You know how hard you have to hit that to put a permanent crease? Hard. They left a license plate number but no contact information. I was going to call the insurance and file a claim, but its just not worth the little mark that only I can see.

Wow, some folks are crazy.

I would have it checked out. My wife had a German SUV and similarly got rear ended. Didn't look like anything. Over 7K in damage to stuff you couldn't see. The woman who hit her stopped, said she had no insurance. My wife got a photo of her driver's license and car before the person took off. Forty-five minutes later the police arrived to take a report. The officer said, "Well I know why she didn't want to stick around...". She had multiple warrants out for her arrest and would have been taken in. Odd that she allowed a photo of her license.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would have it checked out. My wife had a German SUV and similarly got rear ended. Didn't look like anything. Over 7K in damage to stuff you couldn't see. The woman who hit her stopped, said she had no insurance. My wife got a photo of her driver's license and car before the person took off. Forty-five minutes later the police arrived to take a report. The officer said, "Well I know why she didn't want to stick around...". She had multiple warrants out for her arrest and would have been taken in. Odd that she allowed a photo of her license.

Wow.

Back