Brake upgrades | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake upgrades

96ADBC03-8CC7-485A-8702-3088230B4263.jpeg

BFFCD56E-CC5D-4CC9-8A14-7E17EB45BAC5.jpeg
D8AFC216-BAB3-4213-82CC-0CCDF7DBB0FC.jpeg

no chance of 16" fitting, they barley fit in 17"s
Gotcha, those calipers are either very large, or the rotors are closer to 14" big. My 12.75" rotors I chose to fit inside my OEM 16" wheels. Now I'll have 17's, but I don't really need more rotor, I have bigger calipers to adapt soon.

The Aviator brakes would be a feasible choice given 17" wheels or bigger. I wanted bigger pads also, so it gets more complicated.

Brakeproject028.JPG

WB120-3030-FS.jpg

7520 brake pads.jpg

Great looking brake set up!

I am running the aviator caliper as well as the 13" rotor. the aviator caliper has larger pistons 48mm I believe and more pad surface area too. They are LARGE calipers and have a fairly beefy bracket. Hence the 17" wheels

I saw that in your second picture, those calipers have a lot of meat above the pads, which is strength of course. I began with 65-82 Corvette calipers, and those have 1.875" pistons. They were a little big, but the pads were cheap and I swapped to SSBC calipers. Those I didn't know used non Corvette pads, from a Mitsubishi 2000 GT(smaller pads). Those don't last long enough, so I'll try the Wilwoods next, with 5.5sqin of pistons. Those will also be a little big, so a Ranger MC is my best choice to reduce front brake power a little. If the caliper pistons weren't so big, I'd go to the 01+ spindle and use a 13.75" rotor. That's too big though for these calipers, who knows what master cylinder that might require.

That's why the 12" Sport Trac etc, front brakes are the only decent feasible upgrade. Something like the Aviator brakes would be next, with the custom bracket and 17" wheels.

Back