• Register Today It's free!

Steering Rack

rottenmango

Reaction score
City, State
Upper Darby, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
03' Explorer, 07' ST
Hey fellow explorer owners! I have a 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac with the 4.0 in it and the steering rack is shot. The bellows boots were full of Power Steering (P/S) fluid. Surprisingly they didn't leak. Now I am looking at reman ones and don't know which one to choose as reman ones usually go out. What Rack should I get? and if its possible can I rebuild my old one? Has anyone rebuilt one of these? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi

Prior to rack replacement, inspect your high pressure hose teflon oring and nut(pump side)and rack inlet and outlet hose rubber orings (rack side)for leaks.

Also steering pump rear shaft oring should be inspected as well.

Motorcraft reman or cardone new rack should be ok.

At my company we use around 200 a year Ford f150 racks in our 4 wheel conversion only Ford parts Tasca charges 10% over cost not 20 off of list, the guys are fast and easy to deal with. My 2 cents.

477616D1-889E-4871-B2BB-BF8BD01B7734.png

+ plus’s a 2 year over the counter warranty and they pay up to 150 labor even if you install

+ plus’s a 2 year over the counter warranty and they pay up to 150 labor even if you install

What's their 2nd gen Explorer price these days?

I was debating on a Ford rack about six or so years ago. They were only $180ish plus a core then, I liked that but didn't need one yet. I should have bought a couple, but I didn't have any cores to trade in at the time.

About three months later the price had changed, to over $400. Ford had changed suppliers and got rid of the prior inventory, and prices as usual popped.

Back