• Register Today It's free!

2nd. Gen rear axle/diff help

Old Chuck

Reaction score
City, State
Okeechobee, Fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer sport 4.0
From what I Know it is out of a 2001, 4L. / auto Explorer Sport that I have owned since 2003. The tag reads top line S(6orG)14F, bottom line 7380(0orB)823. The factory paper tag on the outboard R. axle tube is a barcode & purple band which I can read a 6 E & 4. From the door code 46 for the rear axle I think it 8.8" 3.73 w/31 spline axles. My Question's are; 1. It looks to me that the center section (carrier) has 3 plug welds to the axle tube on both sides. 2. Bolted to the right side of the center section (carrier) W/ 3 bolts it's a cast steel bracket that has 2 33/4" cast steel weights, 1 inboard & 1 outboard on lower part of the bracket. On the top of the bracket there are 2 lugs w/ a machined hole 7/16" or so thru both as if it was setup for a panhead bar or track locator bar. If memory serves me the last time I had the cover off to service it there was no clutch pack, just an open rear end. If memory still serves me, which my not be the case now at over 70. It also has a stabilizer bar.

Was this a standard set up or is it something else? The truck was hit hard in the R. frt. that halted me driving it, so I decided It looks like a good unit for a street rod and I pulled this unit, engine and trans.

Old Chuck

They never had panhard bars, but they did have a shock absorber that was mounted to the diff...

20120514_205332-jpg.jpg

Back