• Register Today It's free!

97 5.0 V8 Project

DanielB23

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Limited 5.0L V8
Update on the project, I’ve got the engine stripped down to the block. Removed pistons, cam, crank, etc. Now i’m seeking advice again…what steps do I need to take before I even begin rebuilding my engine? I want to deep clean the block and headers and basically everything else. Is resurfacing necessary/recommended? And should I get the GT40P heads ported? I know before I hone it, I need to inspect and measure the cylinders. I’ve read about over bore but still not sure exactly what that is, or how it’s different from honing. Is there anything else i should consider doing at this stage? I’m still not sure what route I want to take for increasing power, I just know that i’m gonna be increasing power Lol. Thinking about a new cam, new intake, maybe even a turbo. Lengthy post, means a lot to me if you read all of this!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We would love to see some pictures :)

I posted that just to show the nuances of the explorer 302

In our trucks we cannot make any power until we remove the bottlenecks (stock manifolds and exhaust) let it breathe!

Back