• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket sub install issue

nporter81

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Park, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020, Explorer, XLT
Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum. I just installed a sub/amp kicker hideaway under the passenger seat of my 2020 explorer xlt without b&o system. I bought a plugnplay kit with the kicker converter for rca and remote wire. The problem is it seems to work every third use. I’ve narrowed it down to the white wires not putting out any power when the car is on when the issue comes up. When I don’t have the issue, the white wires are also putting out power. This is leading the kicker converter to not power on and send the remote signal to the amp to turn on. I’ve run out of ideas to try. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you

image.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Hopefully some will have an answer for you.

Peter

You don't provide enough info. What plug and play harness? What's this white wire you keep mentioning? If you just need a remote turn on, you can easily grab a switched line from the fuse box.

You don't provide enough info. What plug and play harness? What's this white wire you keep mentioning? If you just need a remote turn on, you can easily grab a switched line from the fuse box.
I’m sorry I didn’t mention. I got the kit from plugnplug kits. It plugs into factory box in the right rear of the vehicle. This out gives me grey/grey black/white/white black/black which goes into the kicker converter. This then gives me the remote wire and the red and white RCAs. I’ve noticed when I have the issue with the sub, the white/white black lines are showing no voltage out of them. Thus the RCA converter box isn’t getting power.

What you are implying is that the harness has sketchy contact with one or more of the signal leads. I am not sure how you are determining whether speaker level is present but you might try spare speaker you have lying around. If you get sound from the left and right channels, it's got to be a faulty Line convertor. I personally would have opted for the Audio Control LC2i which is pretty much the gold standard for add-on subs.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Hopefully some will have an answer for you.

Peter
Thank you!
What you are implying is that the harness has sketchy contact with one or more of the signal leads. I am not sure how you are determining whether speaker level is present but you might try spare speaker you have lying around. If you get sound from the left and right channels, it's got to be a faulty Line convertor. Inpersonally wiuld have opted for the Audio Control LC2i which is pretty much the gold standard for add-on subs.
thats my hunch that the adapter has faulty contacts. Is there a thread on how to connect the Audio Control LC2i? Looks like I might have to wire it up?

Thank you!

thats my hunch that the adapter has faulty contacts. Is there a thread on how to connect the Audio Control LC2i? Looks like I might have to wire it up?

its similar to many line converters. you need pos and neg for power. speaker level input. Output a pair of RCAs and remote turn on line if desired. its pretty reliable.

Me, personally, would have just spliced into the OE harness without the plug n play harness. However if you already have the pnp harness do some bench testing for continuity on the leads with a multimeter. jiggle the cable while doing so because it sounds like an intermittent issue. if it checks out, i would suspect the line converter and get something else. I've had issues sometimes with line converters detecting an audio signal and sending a remote turn-on line. I usually grab a switched 12V line for my turn-on. That means the sub will be turned on when the car is started (even with no music playing), but at least it won' t turn on when the car is off.

its similar to many line converters. you need pos and neg for power. speaker level input. Output a pair of RCAs and remote turn on line if desired. its pretty reliable.

Me, personally, would have just spliced into the OE harness without the plug n play harness. However if you already have the pnp harness do some bench testing for continuity on the leads with a multimeter. jiggle the cable while doing so because it sounds like an intermittent issue. if it checks out, i would suspect the line converter and get something else. I've had issues sometimes with line converters detecting an audio signal and sending a remote turn-on line. I usually grab a switched 12V line for my turn-on. That means the sub will be turned on when the car is started (even with no music playing), but at least it won' t turn on when the car is off.
Confirmed it’s the harness today. When having the harness plugged in today, all left side speakers wouldn’t work in the car. Unplugged the harness and plugged in the factory harness and the left side speakers came on. I’m going to just tap into the factory harness as it seems more reliable and then go off the the converter to get the RCA and remote outputs. Thank you for all the support

Kind of on the topic - how is the accessibility to add more speakers to a 2022 Timberline with the 6 speaker system ?

Kind of on the topic - how is the accessibility to add more speakers to a 2022 Timberline with the 6 speaker system ?
you can add two small ones in the back theres openings back there for the b/o units thats about it unless you go all custom enclosure.

Back