Any Luck with dealers correcting paint swirl? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any Luck with dealers correcting paint swirl?

WolverineXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Novi, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Explorer XLT
Hey All,

Had my 22 XLT Cermaic coated at the dealership. Picked it up about 2 weeks ago. $900 which included an interior warranty as well. The wife and I just washed it using the stuff that came in a detail kit from the ceramic coat manufacturer (EXP I believe).

While we washed it, I noticed swirl marks in the paint. I am assuming they came from the dealership carwash or people rubbing against it.

Has anyone had any luck with the dealership correcting the paint?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't believe anyone has posted about this issue before. Best to check with your dealership. Did they do the work or did they have another company do it?

Peter

I don't believe anyone has posted about this issue before. Best to check with your dealership. Did they do the work or did they have another company do it?

Peter
Have an inquiry in with them now. They did the ceramic coat and in all fairness it was hard to see the swirl unless you're in the sun but still a tad irritated with it. lol

Hey All,

Had my 22 XLT Cermaic coated at the dealership. Picked it up about 2 weeks ago. $900 which included an interior warranty as well. The wife and I just washed it using the stuff that came in a detail kit from the ceramic coat manufacturer (EXP I believe).

While we washed it, I noticed swirl marks in the paint. I am assuming they came from the dealership carwash or people rubbing against it.

Has anyone had any luck with the dealership correcting the paint?

The swirls are in the clear coat, not paint. As far as myself, I never have the vehicle detailed during delivery. All that happens is an improper wash and wax that puts more swirls in.

What one should do is have paint correction done first which takes out all the swirls in the clear then have ceramic done. It takes a proper shop with proper lighting to do the job right.

Personally I'd never let a dealer do that. Always take it to someone who specializes in this daily.

Here is my gt350 having the paint correction done in a shop properly setup for it.

Was the $900 just for ceramic? How many coats? I can tell you proper pricing is about $450 for first coat and $200 for each additional coat.

You will not be able to get the swirls out with ceramic on it. The whole vehicle will need isopropyl alcohol to remove all the ceramic and have it paint corrected and then recoated with ceramic (I'd always do at least 2 coats if not 3).

20201119_182835.jpg 20201119_182334.jpg

The swirls are in the clear coat, not paint. As far as myself, I never have the vehicle detailed during delivery. All that happens is an improper wash and wax that puts more swirls in.

What one should do is have paint correction done first which takes out all the swirls in the clear then have ceramic done. It takes a proper shop with proper lighting to do the job right.

Personally I'd never let a dealer do that. Always take it to someone who specializes in this daily.

Here is my gt350 having the paint correction done in a shop properly setup for it.

Was the $900 just for ceramic? How many coats? I can tell you proper pricing is about $450 for first coat and $200 for each additional coat.

You will not be able to get the swirls out with ceramic on it. The whole vehicle will need isopropyl alcohol to remove all the ceramic and have it paint corrected and then recoated with ceramic (I'd always do at least 2 coats if not 3).

View attachment 429983 View attachment 429984
Wow! That GT is a beauty!!!

The $900 was for the application of the ceramic coat and an interior protection package.

I did speak with the dealership and they want to work with me on a paint correction. Have the car going in for some warranty repair on the seats right now so they wanna get that under control now.

Perhaps I can get them to credit the $900 back so I can use it on a detail shop.

The $900 was for the application of the ceramic coat and an interior protection package.

I did speak with the dealership and they want to work with me on a paint correction. Have the car going in for some warranty repair on the seats right now so they wanna get that under control now.

Perhaps I can get them to credit the $900 back so I can use it on a detail shop.

Not to repeat myself but again, just know they have to use isopropyl alcohol across the whole vehicle to remove the ceramic they put on. It can't be wiped/buffed off and you won't get to the clear coat with the ceramic on it.

Hopefully they are willing to make it right and take care of you the right way.

Not to repeat myself but again, just know they have to use isopropyl alcohol across the whole vehicle to remove the ceramic they put on. It can't be wiped/buffed off and you won't get to the clear coat with the ceramic on it.

Hopefully they are willing to make it right and take care of you the right way.
I appreciate the info. That is something I had no idea about. Honestly had never even heard about it until they offered it to me. Feel a little better knowing more about it!

Thanks for the compliment as well. I absolutely love this car. Just had custom side stripes done on it too which really helps accent the vehicle.

Keep us updated on how everything turns out.

Back