2006 Exp 4.0 > 1 head removed > TDC not set | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Exp 4.0 > 1 head removed > TDC not set

ElRafa

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer 4.0
Hey guys

New to forum. Been reading and searching and came across this forum. Was trying to find something on situation I'm in, but just not finding what I was needing. Might be easy answer for some, but I'm still rookie on this..haha

Here goes.....

Had issue with spark plug hole/thread on driver side head. Some things happened and I had to remove the head(only driver side)and send to machine shop to work on 2 valves on cylinder 4. So I made rookie mistake and did NOT set to TDC prior. After realizing WTF I just did, I took pictures and measured the angle of the cam timing slot, as well as taking picture of other side where what appears would be the dowel hole, even though there isn't a dowel. I got head back, and when I measured the cam slot, it was off by 5 degrees. I just barely turned cam to match the same position I marked from earlier. All the valves appeared closed and where the same when I got head back.

I don't have CAM timing set kit, however I did order the OTC 6480, OTC 6481, & OTC 6479, just in case someone says I need to. Will need some guidance to make sure I use correctly. Seems pretty straight forward. I couldn't find any used ones in my area around dallas. Hope those are only tools I would need if I need to use, if not, can send back and get full kit. Just didn't want to buy whole kit for probably a one time use.

Is it safe to install the head on without using kit? I have chain still on sprocket with zipzie to hold chain on and to keep from falling in. I already have all new gaskets, required new bolts

If not, can someone give me advice on best way to put back head and keep the timing?

Cam (dowel hole).png CamTiming slot angle 1.png CamTiming slot angle 2.png

Hey guys

New to forum. Been reading and searching and came across this forum. Was trying to find something on situation I'm in, but just not finding what I was needing. Might be easy answer for some, but I'm still rookie on this..haha

Here goes.....

Had issue with spark plug hole/thread on driver side head. Some things happened and I had to remove the head(only driver side)and send to machine shop to work on 2 valves on cylinder 4. So I made rookie mistake and did NOT set to TDC prior. After realizing WTF I just did, I took pictures and measured the angle of the cam timing slot, as well as taking picture of other side where what appears would be the dowel hole, even though there isn't a dowel. I got head back, and when I measured the cam slot, it was off by 5 degrees. I just barely turned cam to match the same position I marked from earlier. All the valves appeared closed and where the same when I got head back.

I don't have CAM timing set kit, however I did order the OTC 6480, OTC 6481, & OTC 6479, just in case someone says I need to. Will need some guidance to make sure I use correctly. Seems pretty straight forward. I couldn't find any used ones in my area around dallas. Hope those are only tools I would need if I need to use, if not, can send back and get full kit. Just didn't want to buy whole kit for probably a one time use.

Is it safe to install the head on without using kit? I have chain still on sprocket with zipzie to hold chain on and to keep from falling in. I already have all new gaskets, required new bolts

If not, can someone give me advice on best way to put back head and keep the timing?

View attachment 431655 View attachment 431656 View attachment 431657
welcome to EF! im not sure how to set the timing without the kit. that being said, imo if its a motor, do it once and do it right, so order the kit and then time it, dont want to take chances, since these are interference motors. better to spend on that than spend on a motor should it die. wil it be fine with some other method? probably, but why chance it? all jmo however. can buy the kit and then resell when done.

yea, will wait for kit(6488). Says will be here on tues. I cancelled the 3 individual ones.

Once I get kit, since drivers head is removed and passenger side head is untouched(still bolted on), can I:

1. Turn motor to TDC using timing mark on crank
2. Bolt on the cam timing tool to drivers head
3. Install head and torque down.

...follow rest of the install steps from chilton I have?

Easier said than done....hahaha

Back